Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new snow corn shed yesterday while I was at work. It was difficult to tell when he was due, but luckily I managed it and had sprayed the tank for a few days prior. Anyway before he shed this time, I suspected he may have a little bit of retained shed on his tail from the last one, it went in slightly, like a tiny rubber band was there, but I thought seen as how he was due his next shed, I'd just leave it until then.

Well i'm guessing it was a bit of retained shed as the new shed broke in the exact same place, so I got a dampened face cloth and did the usual. It came off relatively easily, but with it being right at the tip I had to put a bit more pressure on than I really liked. Anyway aftwer it came off the poor little guys tail looked red raw, the only thing I could find was savlon spray so I used that for now. Was this ok to use, or is there something better? I'm guessing it will probably heal better by the next time he sheds, just don't want his tail to fall off!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I know a reptile shop near me uses savlon on their snakes but i have never used it myself. I once had a snake that had a little burn under its belly and i put some betadine on it and it cleared up within a few weeks.: victory:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My LTR came to me with retained shed and mites so I used olive oil to deal with both problems at the same time. Her tail end looked horridly pinky-red for a couple of days (i suspect the lack of pigment makes it look worse) but cleared up and is now fine.

Savlon cream is fine - no idea whether there's any difference with the spray. On mine's tail i used a little tea tree oil as I wasn't sure about using anything else after she'd been doused with olive oil, but generally i have tamodine on standby just in case.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think I've heard of a few people using tamodine, so I might invest in some for the future, do you just get it from the chemist?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, thanks I'll see if I can get hold of some this week, just fingers crossed in the mean time I guess.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Tamodine is good stuff as is Betadine and yes you buy them from pet shops:)

Savlon works fine too (dunno about a spray though)

It should heal ok in time:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts