Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i woke up this morning to find my baby red eye on the floor of its exo (not the same one that was ill last time). hes in much worse condition than the other one that was ill. i picked him up and he didnt even try to move :( i thought he was dead until he moved slightly. so i took some quick photos to show you. he looks healthy , hes in good colour and not skinny at all. can anyone help me again?
im so upset that they keep getting ill. frogs are so sensitive.

i dust the crickets everytime i feed them and put calcium in there water sometimes too.

the other baby that was ill is now sleeping fine.has lost a little weight but is actively hunting at night.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
i woke up this morning to find my baby red eye on the floor of its exo (not the same one that was ill last time). hes in much worse condition than the other one that was ill. i picked him up and he didnt even try to move :( i thought he was dead until he moved slightly. so i took some quick photos to show you. he looks healthy , hes in good colour and not skinny at all. can anyone help me again?
im so upset that they keep getting ill. frogs are so sensitive.

i dust the crickets everytime i feed them and put calcium in there water sometimes too.

the other baby that was ill is now sleeping fine.has lost a little weight but is actively hunting at night.
Poor thing, Im sorry to say it doesn't look great, I don't keep red eyes myself but one of my fantastica looked like this but a little skinny a couple of weeks ago in the morning and we picked him up and he didnt move and had no strength, unfortunately we lost him that day.

As you can see from your photos, this frog isnt able to support itself and its hands are curled up as well. Best thing I can suggest is a trip to the vets but might be a bit late.

Hope this little guy does pull through for you though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In your picture you have an exo terra background in your tank. I was told by someone in a shop who breeds red eyes that you should never use those as the crickets might munch at them and then the frog will eat them which can kill an animal. Im not saying this is the reason but just telling you what someone told me. Its worth doing, ugly background anyway. i got some bark background someone here recomended to me or theres a few guides of how to make your own on here. For quarantine i just used aquarium background, they do a few jungle ones. Good luck with the other frog!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your picture you have an exo terra background in your tank. I was told by someone in a shop who breeds red eyes that you should never use those as the crickets might munch at them and then the frog will eat them which can kill an animal. Im not saying this is the reason but just telling you what someone told me. Its worth doing, ugly background anyway. i got some bark background someone here recomended to me or theres a few guides of how to make your own on here. For quarantine i just used aquarium background, they do a few jungle ones. Good luck with the other frog!
oh really ... hmm ok il try and find a suitable background. do you know what it is in the background that is bad for the frogs? the paint or the polystyreen? where did you get the bar kbackground from?

thanks kat

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi.

Hate to say it, but mine were exactly the same as this when I got them (try looking for my old posts to see the replies from people at the time - may help you save yours)

Really gutted for you and hope they pull through, but it's really weird that mine were identical to yours...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Also i Hugely doubt it's background related as mine were exactly like this, and I removed the background from the start. Be great if someone could find what causes this for sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi.

Hate to say it, but mine were exactly the same as this when I got them (try looking for my old posts to see the replies from people at the time - may help you save yours)

Really gutted for you and hope they pull through, but it's really weird that mine were identical to yours...
yeah poor little guy died :( the others are doing alright now.. i think they are just very sensitive frogs and die easy . :( the one who wasnt sleeping is now fine .. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thinks its just down to the condition you buy them in and nothing to do with how you care for them as I bought mine and I dont really have to do anything but change water and feed crickets. Try again but buy them from a different person. I dont know whats wrong with the exo terra background, I couldn't see anything on the net. Just some guy told me there bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thinks its just down to the condition you buy them in and nothing to do with how you care for them as I bought mine and I dont really have to do anything but change water and feed crickets. Try again but buy them from a different person. I dont know whats wrong with the exo terra background, I couldn't see anything on the net. Just some guy told me there bad.
they others are fine .. dont think i will be buying any more to be honest. they are hard to come by aswell so would take ages to get hold of more and even then id prob have to travell really far :( thanks for the reply

·
Registered
402 Posts
yeah poor little guy died :( the others are doing alright now.. i think they are just very sensitive frogs and die easy . :( the one who wasnt sleeping is now fine .. :)
Great, Im really glad the other are alright! Did you separate them did you say? Coz mine seemed to all go the same way, as soon as one of them did. I kept the tank covered for two weeks and really warm, and delayed the death of the last two - which was very odd.

@Lewis - Yeah likewise with me mate. Love the little fellas, but for all the effort and extra work involved as I got two lovely frogs already, think I'll wait a while. Dartfrog is mean't to have some adults for me ready to send at some point, but I'll see how that ends up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great, Im really glad the other are alright! Did you separate them did you say? Coz mine seemed to all go the same way, as soon as one of them did. I kept the tank covered for two weeks and really warm, and delayed the death of the last two - which was very odd.

@Lewis - Yeah likewise with me mate. Love the little fellas, but for all the effort and extra work involved as I got two lovely frogs already, think I'll wait a while. Dartfrog is mean't to have some adults for me ready to send at some point, but I'll see how that ends up.
yeah i separated the one who wasnt sleeping , and when he was fully better i put him back in with the other two then a few weeks later the little one that died (not the same as the one that wasn't sleeping) was lying on the floor so i removed him and he died later that day. i didnt take him to the vet as the stress alone would have proberbly killed him anyway. the other two are looking good still . so fingers crossed they will be alright. if not i will just stick to keeping my adult females as they are soo much easier to care for :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.