Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 12ft retic has pulled the wire out of its bulb holder, and has had an electric shock.

One side of his lip is pretty swollen. Strange example, but he kinda looks like Sylvester Stallone, if you get what I mean?

His behaviour hasn't been affected in the slightest. When I got him out to have a look, he let me near his head/mouth, as he usually does.

I've rang the vet, and she said that it should go down on it's own. However, I will be taking him in anyways.

Has anyone ever come across something like this? If so, how did it pan out, and were there any resulting infections?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
My 12ft retic has pulled the wire out of its bulb holder, and has had an electric shock.

One side of his lip is pretty swollen. Strange example, but he kinda looks like Sylvester Stallone, if you get what I mean?

His behaviour hasn't been affected in the slightest. When I got him out to have a look, he let me near his head/mouth, as he usually does.

I've rang the vet, and she said that it should go down on it's own. However, I will be taking him in anyways.

Has anyone ever come across something like this? If so, how did it pan out, and were there any resulting infections?
I would treat it the same as a burn. Whether from an electrical discharge or from pressing against a hot bulb (From what you have described I am unconvinced its a shock) the result is pretty much the same.

There are some threads on here about treating burns I am sure.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hope your retic is alright mate, sounds pretty unfortunate. As others have said treat it like a burn, and it should be fine. It seems like your retic got lucky and shouldn't have any big problems from this.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hate to say this, but it is all your fault! Never ever should bulbs, cables or any other possibly dangerous fittings be INSIDE the Viv!
Big no-no in my book.....
You were lucky this time, but please reconsider your setup!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I hate to say this, but it is all your fault! Never ever should bulbs, cables or any other possibly dangerous fittings be INSIDE the Viv!

that means all my snake would be cold due to no fitting therefore no heat :bash:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Wonderfully measured and helpful response there. I better be removing my stat and thermometer probes forthwith then by that logic.

Bulb. guard.
Meh, from how I read it was that the retic manged to dislodge a wire from the bulb guard and then break the bulb getting a shock/ heat burn.

But yeah, bulbs are better guarded.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Great advice there il take all the fittings out my vivs straight away, how would you suggest i heat them i could set a fire in the viv guarded of course maybe i could just fart through the vent holes for the basking spot.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Feel for the snake mate hope all is well after the vets, think your doing everything right by getting checked by the vet all the best.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That sucks, I hope your retic is OK!

I found that using cable holders (like the ones used for running cables along skirting boards) worked really well in my viv, leaving no gaps for anything to get behind.

Mind, I've never had to deal with anything nearly as powerful as a retic though- I'd have thought that the bulb guards you need for them are pretty hefty beasts.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Crap advice, plus you keep mats and ceramics in your vivs.
You have contradicted yourself on another thread:bash::bash:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
That sucks, I hope your retic is OK!

I found that using cable holders (like the ones used for running cables along skirting boards) worked really well in my viv, leaving no gaps for anything to get behind.

Mind, I've never had to deal with anything nearly as powerful as a retic though- I'd have thought that the bulb guards you need for them are pretty hefty beasts.
Ah I never thought of it like that. When th OP mentioned wire I was thinking of a wire guard.

Your way makes more sense though:lol2:

So yeah, probably is a shock then...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would treat it the same as a burn. Whether from an electrical discharge or from pressing against a hot bulb (From what you have described I am unconvinced its a shock) the result is pretty much the same.

There are some threads on here about treating burns I am sure.

Good luck mate.

Without even knowing me, it appears a few have chosen to make assumptions rather than help. I've been keeping snakes for a very long time, and have a collection of more than 60 (and that again in hatchlings). I know what a burn looks like, and how to treat them.

I wanted specific info on electrocution.

I know it was my fault. Just as it is ALWAYS the keepers fault, when a snake has an 'accident'. As others have pointed out, no fittings/wires in a viv with a light is impossible

Reactions: Demonique

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Without even knowing me, it appears a few have chosen to make assumptions rather than help. I've been keeping snakes for a very long time, and have a collection of more than 60 (and that again in hatchlings). I know what a burn looks like, and how to treat them.

I wanted specific info on electrocution.

I know it was my fault. Just as it is ALWAYS the keepers fault, when a snake has an 'accident'. As others have pointed out, no fittings/wires in a viv with a light is impossible
High electrical current passed through organic material results in a burn injury due to the resistance offered by same material, and as such would be treated the same as a burn.

Specific enough?

Care to point out where I jumped to conclusions? I said I was unconvinced by your description, but since someone explained it better I realised I had misread your description.

I was actually being helpful, but if your going to get pissy there is no point.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wonderfully measured and helpful response there. I better be removing my stat and thermometer probes forthwith then by that logic.

Meh, from how I read it was that the retic manged to dislodge a wire from the bulb guard and then break the bulb getting a shock/ heat burn.

But yeah, bulbs are better guarded.
:no1:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Crap advice, plus you keep mats and ceramics in your vivs.
You have contradicted yourself on another thread:bash::bash:
Are you kidding me? I have no ceramics INSIDE my viv!
And for the mat, it,s secured, and under the gravel I use as a drainage under the top soil. I don,t have it lose either but secured! :censor:

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Are you kidding me? I have no ceramics INSIDE my viv!
And for the mat, it,s secured, and under the gravel I use as a drainage under the top soil. I don,t have it lose either but secured! :censor:
So i take it you use glass aquariums/vivs.
If not please explain how you fit a ceramic in a wooden viv

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Personally I think ceramics are way safer in a viv than heat mats, as long as the ceramics are properly guarded.

To the OP, we have no idea what collection you have, nor how long you have been keeping. You wanted advice and we gave that. No one suggested that it is a heat burn rather than an electrocution, but the simple fact is that the injuries sustained by electrocution are a form of burning and should be treated as such.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.