Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jampeas,honey island,kalatoa,kayaudi, called dwarf and super dwarfs retics, if a retic can grow to, whats the record 32 ft for a wild specimen
then surely anything under this could be classed a dwarf could it not,
so these names are a marketing ploy ?.they are smaller but dwarf is a missleading word, i was on an american forum today someone has a 16ft jampea supposedly,most people would not expect this size from a dwarf, and what percentage of unwitting snake keeper would by a snake from a shop that had a retic with a sticker on the viv saying DWARF could you tell the difference?.it doesnt stop their , the biggest snake ever found was in the celebes, which is sulawesi? on sulawesi there is saleyer and maakasar , 4 locality retics on 1 island. i was going to buy a buton island retic the other day only to be told its probebly a sulawesi. seems more confusion with retic localaties than anything else, e.g asked about ambon and ceram retics the other day (reticulatus kindly pointed out there the same) would you believe i seen these ambons/ceram for sale by someone in america with different prices trading them as different localities, the list could go on and on, how can you be sure what your buying, anyones experiances,points of view appriciated, stewart

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i think you just have to accept that if your buying a retic it's gonna get pretty big. it does seem a bit misleading when the word dwarf is used as they can get very big too.
i've just bought a WC makasaar and i'm expecting it to reach 16, 17 foot. i don't think anything smaller than the 32 footer should be called dwarf tho coz thats like saying a person shorter than 8 foot is a midget. you can get dwarfs that only grow to 9 foot but you have to be careful what your getting i think. reticulatus will know better than me.
anyone who purchases a retic lightly is just stupid in my opinion

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree that anyone should think twice about the purchase of a retic,
that was not the main point,
you saying your maakasaar might reach 16ft, that jampea (dwarf ) in america is already 16 ft, dont call maakasaars dwarf do we ?, but i have seen maakasars labled GIANT golden headed maakasars, so will these grow bigger than the 32ft one found in 1912,possibly not, but the word dwarf is encourging to some when it comes to snakes.
point was there seems to a lot of missinformation on size,localities on the retic,good point about the 8 ft person, but we do call 4 ft people midgets and we do call people over 7ft giants,so if im 6ft what retic would i be
javan? sumatran? cheers for the reply, im sure this debate could go on and on

·
Registered
439 Posts
have you seen this feeding/growth trial with dwarf retics

Are Dwarf Retics Real?

with regards to the 16ft jamps.... lots of food = big snake it would be interesting to compare the body make up in terms of muscle and fat of a captive "dwarf" retic thats pushig 16ft to a large WC dwarf retic.

regards
bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
then surely anything under this could be classed a dwarf could it not,
so these names are a marketing ploy

the list could go on and on, how can you be sure what your buying, anyones experiances,points of view appriciated, stewart
There are several island form "dwarf" Retics, but this is simply down to the food items available, if there are only small prey items on the island this in a few generations will "dwarf" the species.

On the other hand any species can be "dwarfed" simply by changing the feeding routine when young. We have some Retic / Burm hybrids that could have easily reached over 20+ foot.

However as when they were young we fed them on a slow feeding regeime, one small pray item every 25 days, they are now 10 years old and are only 12 foot maximum.

The siblings that were sold on to Bob Clark in America have reached in excess of 20 feet.

Just note that if you do buy a "dwarf" animal but over feed it as a youngster it will get big, and in only 1 generation, your back to where you started.

Pictured below is our Male that we kept back

See all the images reptilekeeping.com Gallery - Reticulated / Burmese Python

Jerry Cole

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Interesting you bring up the Sulaweysi animals.
If you note that the "makasar" animals are much the same as an okeettee corn snake you'll be on safer footing.
True makasar retics come from the area closest to the Makasar Straight and they are slightly different. It's just that the animals in this area have all bred between themselves (due to mountain range) so brought out slightly different traits than you get from the eastern sulaweysi animals.

Also the name Celebes is PURELY a marketting trait, it is simply the old name for the island.

I was informed that many of the animals that "recently" came in labelled as "Buton" were infact just sulaweysi animals (from anywhere on the island) that didnt fit to what the usual stereotypes where for what ever area they were collected from.

It's also worth noting that the Seleyar (a bali sized animal) is also VERY similar to those from Sulaweysi. This is because the population probably originated from that island. The Seleyar is often gifted with far higher amounts of gold but a similar pattern. Those without the high gold have been reportedly sold as sulaweysi or buton animals.

All great fun!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
my mak is a male though so won't get as big as a female. i think you could expect a female to grow easily in excess of 20 foot. but i think you can't really use the word dwarf with only the example of the biggest individual ever. you have to use the average lengths of a particular locality.
i agree that the word dwarf is mis leading though and probably could encourage people to buy a dwarf retic or afrock and these are always gonna be hard snakes to keep.
Just out of interset, bjherp, did your bateaters display alot of agression with such infrequent feeding?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just out of interset, bjherp, did your bateaters display alot of agression with such infrequent feeding?
HI,

It's not an easy question to answer, given a species that always wants to eat will make (in theory) them more keen if you slow the feeding regeime.

The Female we kept back, is a complete bitch and will bite at every
opportunity, and she will only eat rats. Even when she knows your not food she still has a go.

The Male on the other hand, (pictured above in earlier post) is calm and non aggressive, i have never been biten by him, and he has never shown an interest in striking at me.

Actually just measured the male and he's the biggest out of the two and is just over 10ft long.

As mentioned the rest of the clutch went to Bob Clark, and as far as i know are 20+ foot animals.

Jerry Cole
www.reptilekeeping.com

·
Registered
7,023 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Very nice. They call them Bateaters don't they??

Thanks for the comments guys, yes they do call them Borneo Bateaters, we mainly refer to them as Reticulese Hybrids, however the Yanks called them Bateaters a few years ago and it stuck.

Main problem with the American name, they don't come from Borneo and they don't eat bats, but hey well try tell the Americans that.

We will be breeding this species again this year, so if there is any interest let me know and i will add you to the mailing list.

Use this link for our mailing lists.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

1 - 11 of 11 Posts