Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well on the topic of the whole rottie debate
there was a bit in my local paper today saying that rotties should be mussled at all time except to eat ect ect well my sister wasnt happy about this so she emailed the reporter saying about her rotties and the reporter emailed her back saying do you want a bit put in the letters section and my sister said NO i want you to come round my house and see how laid back and good my dogs are well to cut a long story short the reporter is going to speak to the editor of the paper about going round my sisters and doing a piece on her dogs
i will be there defenatly so i maight get in the paper to show everyone how good a day they really are with my nephews aswell wooooo am quite excited hehehe
manda xx

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
well for me manda it is not an issue of the dogs nature, i have freinds with both rotti's and pit bulls and they are all sweettie's but the differance is if something was to happen to make dog turn ie..my son jumps on jack russel he's going to do a lot less damage if he snaps back then a rottie, who could potentially take him out in one bite... just my view..

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
nice one.. bit of good publicity wont do any harm.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
nicky said:
well for me manda it is not an issue of the dogs nature, i have freinds with both rotti's and pit bulls and they are all sweettie's but the differance is if something was to happen to make dog turn ie..my son jumps on jack russel he's going to do a lot less damage if he snaps back then a rottie, who could potentially take him out in one bite... just my view..
Like someone said somewhere else, any dog somewhat bigger then a russel will do serious harm to an infant if startled. And I personaly wouldnt have a large dog as a pet while my children are small because I cannot keep my eye on all 3 at the same time. Although its a different story for people with larger accomodation where the dog can be kept comfortably in a seperate room when your not able to watch both the children and the dog.

I used to breed NewFoundlands and find these Dogs very Docile and well tempered, right big softies but still they are huge and would never trust one 100%.

It is a shame that Rotweilers have this stigma attached but with all the attacks and horror storys applied over the years people should be starting to act more cautiouse around larger breeds of dogs when children are involved and prevent such incidents happening and this breed from getting a bad name.
Carelesness of humans is the cause of most Dog attacks im sorry to say.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
At the moment i've got an american bulldog and my mum and dad have a jack russell and i 've got to say the russell is a little s**t :evil: . He's got to be watched all the time, you can't trust him with anyone.Hes only wee but i wouldn't like to think of the damage he could cause. I think its a shame that it always seems to be the bigger dogs that get the bad press. I really like rotties. I wouldn't be put off getting one because of this. In my opinion its the way they are brought up

G

·
0 Posts
I used to keep and breed great danes and german shepards in the past and grew up with german shepards and never had a problem with them.

In my personal experience both as a show handler and as a postman i have found that lap dogs ie toy poodles,jack russels and westies and shelties have more chance of turning on you than the larger dogs do.

Just my opinion so please dont rip me apart over it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Greenphase said:
I used to keep and breed great danes and german shepards in the past and grew up with german shepards and never had a problem with them.

In my personal experience both as a show handler and as a postman i have found that lap dogs ie toy poodles,jack russels and westies and shelties have more chance of turning on you than the larger dogs do.

Toy dogs do tend to be more yappy and intolerant, maybe they feel they have to make up for there small size. I could see a toy dog causing need for stitches but not crytical injury.

Great Danes are beauts, though a bit on the thick side! All the Danes ive come across have been dopey buggers.
Infact the only really viscious dog I have had experience with are rhodesian ridgebacks and the friendliest being Newfoundlands. (I was a kennel worker for 2 years for a lady who bread NewFoundlands and Ridgebacks, this is why Ive come across many dogs)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Azpiercedaz said:
Greenphase said:

Toy dogs do tend to be more yappy and intolerant, maybe they feel they have to make up for there small size. I could see a toy dog causing need for stitches but not crytical injury.

Great Danes are beauts, though a bit on the thick side! All the Danes ive come across have been dopey buggers.
Infact the only really viscious dog I have had experience with are rhodesian ridgebacks and the friendliest being Newfoundlands. (I was a kennel worker for 2 years for a lady who bread NewFoundlands and Ridgebacks, this is why Ive come across many dogs)
yeh exactly what i was trying to get at, i have been around jack russels all my live and absolutely agree they are more snappy but the differance is the damage either could cause...
my ex's son has a rottie (Bruno) and i have known him since he was a pup and he is adorable and a real sweetie, both my kids were older and never gave it any thought then i had Nathan and Bruno became obsessed with him every time we visted he would not stay away from nathan, James said he was just protective over him but as a mother it was the first time i ever felt uncomfortable about haveing a child around a dog... :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is nothing wrong with putting a muzzel on a dog. They are not harmful to the dogs health, and if they are brought up wearing one when out walking they will learn to associate the muzzel with getting out and about. Even though for your particular pet it may not be necessary, it is showing the public at large that you are a responsible dog owner. It is only the ignorant that would assume that your dog is aggressive if wearing one, and to be honest who gives a sh*t what they think? You may laugh but my JR wears one when we are out, we've never had anybody comment or pull their children away, and she will frequently go and fetch it if she thinks it's about time i took her and my other dog out. peace of mind is much better than hind sight

·
Registered
597 Posts
im in the middle of this one. a dog can turn at any time it can be the best dog in the world and turn, around children i think a muzzle should be worn, even with a muzzle the dog could probably still hurt a young child.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the commentn and replys i have read all of them and there is alot of mixed thought the thing with small and big dogs imo is that a big dog will 9 times out of 10 give you a barking warning wereas a little dog will just attack you straight off
on the mussle thing my greyhound was trained to wear a mussle as hes an ex racer but if i put one near him he will flip out he hates them and it bothers him alot thankfull we cant walk him nomore due to his mentle problems (hes not crazy just very dog phobic) so the mussle doesnt present a problem anymore
i really dont like mussled dogs i will actually walk farther away from a mussled dog nomatter what breed then i would say a great dane off lead dont ask me why just one of those things
manda xx

p.s its so nice to have a thred where people can share there opions without it turning into a fight :D :D :D

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Im kinda on the fence with this one aswell, We have 3 dogs A boarder Collie a springer spanel and my little jack russel...

All of them as doppy as anything however! A few years ago at a BBQ Tyler our collie went for one of my neighbours daughters, She was teasing him ith a bone and none of us noticed until it was to late and he caught her arm with his claws... Needless to say this was very distressing for all of us and has left poor Alice really scared of dogs (shouldnt have been teasing him in the first place i know!)

Because of this we now put Tyler in the kitchen whenever we have children come over, We know he is a big softie but we cant take that risk.. He always wears a muzzel when he is out and i have never got a bad responce because of this no one cross's the street!!

I think a lot of these dog attacks are when people get careless, I dont think any dog is born to "kill" but I think people have to keep in mind that no matter how much we know "our babies" there is always the chance of them having a bad day!

I think its a good thing that all dogs should be muzzeled when outside... Izzy my jack russel bit someones bike tyre when she was a pup!

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
small update the paper finaly got back to my sis they wont do an artical as such but they want to do a photoshoot with her and her 3 dogs and a women from somewhere else and her dog sadly i dont think il get in the pic but im gonna hang about like a nasty smell n see if i can wiggle my way in there :D
manda xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts