Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the sad demise of my pet fancy mice, I'm thinking of adding another caged furry to my family.

Curious about Ground Squirrels (Richardson's Ground Squirrels) and Prairie Dogs (Black-Tailed Prairie Dogs), which I see advertised on here fairly frequently, but before I start my research, does anyone have any recommendations on which make better pets in terms of care difficulty, space required, handleability (is that even a word? :lol2:), and I suppose average price?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
We have PD`s.........love them to bits, easy to feed (98% timothy hay...), need more than one as they live for company, greet us with their yahoos when we come in, love and need to be out, very affectionate.......don`t know about rutting just yet but, lets face it, any creature can bite!
Need a huge cage, they are very active!

Dave

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I have kept both sadly not anymore :devil::devil::devil:. I personaly found RGS MUCH better captives/pets. friendly,active,clean just good fun to own. My PDs were active but much less clean (RGS always went in 1 place) and my male was very nervous of humans and always run away when approached BUT that is not to say they can't be tame he was just a little to old when I got him (5months). RGS need less space :2thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts