Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking into these for a while now but i keep getting conflicting information, so if anyone who keeps them could clear some things up id be very gratefull. its a fairly long list, sorry :blush:

1. is ribbon snake another name for a garter snake? i thought they where different species but a few sites have said there the same snake.
  2. how much water do they need access to? the info i can find ranges from 'there semi aqautic' to 'dont give them anything more than a small water bowl' plus everything in between.
  3. food wise, whats best? the number of different answers iv found for this question would take ages to type out...
  4. how big do they get?
  5. do they like to climb? if so do they appreciate more hight than floor space?
  6. do they do better in groups or alone? some sites say they do better in groups of 3 or above, some say its safer to keep them alone.
  7. is handling reccomended? im not fussed about handling personally, but again the range of conflicting information is big.
  8. for one snake (or, if there communal, however many the reccomended group size is) what size viv would i be looking at? iv got a spare 1.5ftL 1.5ftW by 1.3ftH viv but i assume thats too small?
sorry about the length of the list, and thank you in advance for all help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hi there, im far from an expert but I have had a couple of ribbons in the past.

They are closely related to garter snakes and resemble them in most ways but are very slender and lighter in build.

They dont need an aquatic area, a decent sized water bowl is perfectly fine. I kept mine on newspaper with some branches for climbing and cork bark hides. They probably do benefit from a uv strip light and if you add one you will certainly get the most out of the snakes.

Feeding, earthworms are a favourite and guppies will be readily taken. Now doubt they can be convinced to take pinkies but I didnt even try with my ones, however this was close to 20 years ago and im sure there is more up to date info out there.

Handling, I never had any problems but they are quick and flighty. I only handle sparingly anyway so I never had a problem. They grow to around 3 foot but are very slender. I remember mine fondly and think they are interesting captives.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply :) so did you keep yours communally or have i read that wrong? the using of a UV strip is interesting, il look further into that. in terms of heating what did you use? just thinking if they like to climb they might be better with a bulb rather than a matt?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I kept 2 ribbon snakes and a plains garter in the same enclosure so they will live together no probs. I would always heat from above with these type of snakes and would give UV but temps only want to around 28c in a localised basking area (eg right under the ceramic) room temp is good for ambient and they do like it cooler than most snakes.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thamnophis.com is a good place to find out (the garter snake forum)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts