Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mum has just got t'internet on today, and my 10 year old sis is as into reps as me, i wanna get her to join here, but will she be safe?? would you let your 10 year old daughter join??
i just wanna know some opinions first. please and thank you.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
as long as she is being supervised there shouldnt be a problem.maybe she should just look at the reptile forums and not off topic.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
erm if she is watched it should be ok my nephew who is 9 will sometimes come on here to read some stuff (he isnt joined though) mind he is a boy and they no more then younger girls :D
manda xx

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what i was thinking
but you'll all look after her wont ya??? :D lol

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
il keep an eye out for her maybe get her to tell people that she is your lil sis as you no how some people on here can get very nasty sometimes
manda xx

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its ok, they'll get a tongue lashing from me, lol, but i will make sure peeps know who she is anyway.
and thank you. :D

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
to be honest my daughter is 9 and i wouldnt let her on unless me or sarah is sitting next to her and making sure she is just looking at the info threads.and that nobody is im'ing her,this isnt(internet) the best place for kids.but i dont see a problem if she's being supervised.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, believe me mum wont let them near t'internet without being sat really close by, so close you can only just breath, lmao.

ooops, dont think i should have put that maybe mum will see this, ah well, ya know i love ya xxx :wink:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I would keep her away from off topic maybe

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I've got a very strong opinion about this, which I've already expressed in other threads.

I could go on forever, but not to bore anyone, my simple opinion is that internet is not for children full stop.

A kid who likes reptiles, should be reading books about reptiles, not using a forum. I have a 10 yo son myself, and he's not allowed on the internet unless we are closely supervising what he's doing. He uses internet at school under supervision of his teachers, and with all the filtering systems that the school implemented in their pc's.

All in all, the more you have your daughter playing sports, reading books, grwoing interest in things such as cooking healthy food, learning about animals from you and books (not from a internet forum), etc, the healthier, safer and happier she will be.

I'm so radical about it, that I think no person under the age of 16 yo should have full access to internet other than for study purposes for limited periods of time under supervision of an adult.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I agree with Dexter, I wouldnt let my daughter on here, it doesnt matter if its off topic or not people still use bad language and inuendos on all the other subforums.

If she wanted to know something specific maybe you ask for her and print off the replies or something. I just dont think the internet is the place for kids, at all lol. :lol: :lol:

No offence meant :lol:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Id never let me daughter on here but shes only 8. I dont look at certain posts when shes in the room even though shes not looking because I know what type on content they have.

I think if I was to show my daughter web sites related to animals then id sit with her and look at animal planet.

I do let her use the internet from the pc in the living room, her pc in bedroom as no internet connection. Since i caught her and her friend giggling at the boobies they had search for on google while I had just nipped into the kitchen to make a brew shes only allowed to go on bratz and cbbc games.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i would not let her use this section, but the rest of the forum would be ok, and thats what she would be interested in anyway i guess.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dex, she's my sister not my daughter, lol
scarllettevegetable no printer
and all of you my mum allows them on internet, anyway (they also have a child safety thingy on there) so if there gonna see owt they'll see it anyway, i just wanted to let her join a community that i love and wanted to know your thoughts and views :D :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
well my 4 year old nephew quite often uses my sisters internet granted he only goes on the cbbc website and dora and things like that but he can do it all himself my elder nephew is 9 and he will use the internet freely his mum and dad are going to put a pc in the games room for the kids to share with internet they will have the locks on and my sister will be checking what sites they go on but i think its a good thing in this day and age pc's are all around us
yes they have to be watched but that goes without saying really you wouldnt let your kids play in the street alone would you same thing
manda xx

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
rach1980 said:
dex, she's my sister not my daughter, lol
Sorry, read it in a hurry :D

Anyway, myopinion about young kids using internet remains the same, regardless of her being your sister, daughter or mum :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts