Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of getting some roaches for my bosc and letting a colony breed but i was wondering, how do i dispose of the roaches if he doesnt like them?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Ive never known a bosc not like roaches yet, but if doesnt like them you can always advertise them as I know another large insect eating lizard owner would rip your arm off for them :wink:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i thought of that after i posted. might try get a few and breed them a little. what do u suggest breeding them in? i think ive heard u do it in a bin with egg boxes inside right?

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Same here just a plastic tub, they eat just about anything and mine breed like mad, just watch how big you put your air holes as they have tiny babies.

I feed mine to my Beardie he takes them quite easy but my BTS are lazy buggers so I have to freeze and thaw for them.

They would be ideal for your bosc especially the adult ones, I bought mine from rickezze he sells them quite cheap. :wink:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Iv got Orange Heads, Lobsters were too small for what I wanted, and these were the only bigger ones I could get easily at the time! But my Bosc loves them! :lol:

Housing wise mine are just in a Really Useful Box, with air holes in the lid, they have a substrate of bran (which they eat), with a few hides, and I feed them dry cat food, oranges/satsumas, apples and other fruits and veggies, and one end of their tub is on a heat mat, Im not sure on temps, I haven't checked, but they are growing and moulting quickly so it cant be too hot. I got some adults already out of a starter culture of nymphs I bought which was about a month and a bit ago, so all is good, they should start breeding soon :lol:

They are pretty easy to care for, and I find them quite fascinating to watch, especially when they are moulting, rather smart :lol:

If you need to dispose of them, someone will buy them. Especially if it is a ready made colony, as whoever buys them wont have to wait for the nymphs to mature and start to breed. You should have no problem with selling them if you need to, but I highly doubt your Bosc will turn them down, if he is anything like mine, he will eat anything! And mine absolutely LOVES cockroaches, they are a decent size for him to munch on, and compared to crickets, much nicer to keep for me :lol: I much prefer having roaches, they don't smell even half as bad as crickets, they don't chirp, cant climb or fly (the species I have that is) are big enough for a couple to be a meal, rather than a whole box of crickets, cheaper to keep, they eat what most people have in their cupboards and fridges, they are quite funky to watch and handle, they are quick growing, and prolific.......I love them now I have got them, once my colony gets ups and running properly, I am looking forward to not having to buy live food again. Except maybe more Roaches :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts