Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen the sweetest rotty ever in a rescue the other day and im really considering taking him home but there are a couple of concerns i have.

firstly my nan was really put off of me getting him the other day due to her friends saying all this shite about them "killing people" and "always bting and aggressive" i know these are mostly just rumours but can anyone shed any light on these rumours.

secondy we very regularly get visitors and my main concern is that the dog will bite/attack them. are they generally soft aniamsl with visitors ?

on his slip it says hes good with kidsand other dogs

sorry about the typing im in a rush

sooo can anyone shed some light ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Behaviour generally as a rule comes down to the individual dog, I imagine the rescue may be able to help answer your questions to some point, you should be able to have introduction sessions with your whole family and the dog in an enclosed field or something similar which will help you get a feel for the dogs temprament.

I had a rottie and she was the sweetest dog Ive ever met, she was fantastic.

If you get her then Id take her along to some training sessions which will be helpful for you guys getting used to each other.

But anyway, its generally untrue that a breed overall is vicious etc, its down to background, previous experiences, training etc.

I hope you take her!! :2thumb:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Voice your concerns with the rescue. Not all Rotties are aggressive most are very sweet it depends how they are brought up.If this dog was aggressive it would surface whilst in rescue.Wont the rescue bring the dog to your house to see his reaction? or couldnt you do lots of visits and walks so you can find out his tempemant(Take Nan with you). Ive just got a 17 week old male Rottie pup and he is a big wuss and very loving and this is how we want him to stay.The last Rottie I owned was gorgeous too.So loyal and loving.Good luck and I hope you manage to rehome this boy

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Yes Rotties can be sweet and obedient but they are a big strong German guarding breed and should not be expected to greet every strager in the manner of a labrador. You would expect it to be aloof with strangers and the guard instinct will be strong. That's what they were bred for and you need to expect it just as border collies are born to run and herd. If you can cope with this temperament then go for it but you will have to lay down ground rules and not treat it like a soppy lap dog.
I love the breed but then I tend to like large guarding breeds and have the character to manage them. One thing I will say is this. When you take any dog home from a rescue, you know he is your dog. However, to the dog, you are a stranger. He doesn't realise that you are his new pack member. Treat him as you would any other large strong guarding breed, with some respect at first and don't take liberties with him and start hugging and fussing him until you have both got to know each other.
You need to be aware of the potential for aggression with this breed as with other guarding breeds and be a bit circumspect initially.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
The rule in my house goes................if you dont like being jumped up at......dont come in!, if you dont like being mouthed or licked.....dont come in!, if you dont wanna be covered in hairs or foot prints........dont come in

the rules are plain and simple my dogs my house which is thier house i will not lock my dogs away in another room unless i have to for a good reason..............so if you dont like my rules dont come in my house lol

I have just rehomed a rottie bitch and she is a big softy too........but as fenwoman said they were bred for a purpose and you cant take that 100% out of them

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
by the way cheika added the angry face not me lol she put her paw on the mouse as i was clicking to add the reply :lol2:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The rule in my house goes................if you dont like being jumped up at......dont come in!, if you dont like being mouthed or licked.....dont come in!, if you dont wanna be covered in hairs or foot prints........dont come in

the rules are plain and simple my dogs my house which is thier house i will not lock my dogs away in another room unless i have to for a good reason..............so if you dont like my rules dont come in my house lol

I have just rehomed a rottie bitch and she is a big softy too........but as fenwoman said they were bred for a purpose and you cant take that 100% out of them
I have similar rules apart from the jumping, and mouthing one. I will not allow my mob to jump up on anyone nor mouth them. Both could be misconstrued and may result in someone claiming they were attacked or hurt. I would also not allow a friend's dog to jump up at me. Firstly because I may get knocked over and hurt (back problem) and secondly, it's just plain bad manners of a dog to do so to a human unless invited. Only my opinion of course, but I like people to be able to visit without fear of being jumped up at or mouthed by my dogs. I do tend to shut mine out behind the dog gate but it's because there are just so many of them bustling about and crowding in a tiny cottage.
It's bad enough when my firends come that they have to piddle behind a shed without being bounced on by my lot. (bathroom still under contstuction and loo still not put in).

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
I have similar rules apart from the jumping, and mouthing one. I will not allow my mob to jump up on anyone nor mouth them. Both could be misconstrued and may result in someone claiming they were attacked or hurt. I would also not allow a friend's dog to jump up at me. Firstly because I may get knocked over and hurt (back problem) and secondly, it's just plain bad manners of a dog to do so to a human unless invited. Only my opinion of course, but I like people to be able to visit without fear of being jumped up at or mouthed by my dogs. I do tend to shut mine out behind the dog gate but it's because there are just so many of them bustling about and crowding in a tiny cottage.
It's bad enough when my firends come that they have to piddle behind a shed without being bounced on by my lot. (bathroom still under contstuction and loo still not put in).
LOL the piddle behind a shed thing made me giggle

the mouthing thing is a husky thing and something they never grow out of really so i dont often invite people round unless they understand this plus them rules makes it easier as i dont have to put up with people then :lol2:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
LOL the piddle behind a shed thing made me giggle

the mouthing thing is a husky thing and something they never grow out of really so i dont often invite people round unless they understand this plus them rules makes it easier as i dont have to put up with people then :lol2:
Well Twas Nerys what had to piddle 'al fresco' when she came over on Thursday lol.
Luckily the people who visit me are the people I like to see.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
LOL yeah i dont have many visitors but fortunately the ones that do visit me understand the dogs so all is cool :lol2:

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Hey Emma do you have a loo or is it on the yard with the dogs:lol2:

LOL depends if i like them if i dont then its yard with the dogs and if i do then they can use my loo lol

cant get into bathroom at moment have half lews stuff in there im sorting his room out which seems to get no further done :lol2:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
our rottys 7 yrs old she good with kids ,cats,kittens ferrets,rabbits,puppies,dogs once shes been introduced,but we have had her since she was 7 weeks old.they are headstrong and need a kind firm hand,my main concern is whats the dogs history,what emotional baggage is it carrying and what is the home its going to like.because IF a rotty does kick off for want of a better phrase they take some stopping you just cant pick them up by their collar like a bull type dog. nigel.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
My experience with Rotties wasn't perfect. They was stunning dogs, very hyped and playfull. Loved being round me all the time, wouldn't leave my side. BUT, one of them wanted to eat my daughter while the other one wanted to eat my missus.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Are ya kidding me!!!!! Seriously?????

Do all black people hate white people and run around london with a knife ????

Marina:)

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
have to say the majority of my experience with this breed has been nothing but positive, very loyal, gorgeous & friendly animals who'd rather lick you to death than attack you. That being said i have encountered less than friendly rotties, and to be honest i put it all down to their owners and lack of proper consistent training. I don't think you can class a whole breed as dangerous, as i believe its circumstances & to a very small extent breeding that dictates behaviour.

Alot of the cases you will have heard in the media are cases were people have left children unattended with dogs that weren't even considered 'trustworthy' to begin with. to me thats an error on the owners part not the dogs. With the media rotties seem to be the flavor of the month, every story regarding them seems to get picked up. They don't mention all the attacks by small dogs...years ago the same happened to pit bulls.

Personally i think the best thing you can do is talk to the people at the rescue as they will have hands on experience with this particular dog and be able to tell you what he's like with other dogs,his food etc. Assure your nan that not all rottys are killers..not at all.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Sorry about my previous reply but seriously??? Do you honestly think that if rottweilers were that violent they would still be legal. Your attitude towards the breed angered me because owning one myself this is the attitude i have to face every day and it does my head in. I have only ever met one violent rottie it attacked a 7 year old boy and then came after my mums 9week old puppy i bear the scars from trying to get it off. This dog was neglected and couped in a tiny flat all day every day its owner cared very little for it and it was skinny and ill.

My dog faces predujice every time we leave the house people (beacuse of the media) are scared and to be honest if you think yuor tough enough to handle it go ahead and get the dog but i'd think long and hard about it. If you attitude continues like this and you spend the whole time wondering whether or not this dog will turn on you i'd re-think the whole idea because thats NOT what rotties are about at all.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Sorry about my previous reply but seriously??? Do you honestly think that if rottweilers were that violent they would still be legal. Your attitude towards the breed angered me because owning one myself this is the attitude i have to face every day and it does my head in. I have only ever met one violent rottie it attacked a 7 year old boy and then came after my mums 9week old puppy i bear the scars from trying to get it off. This dog was neglected and couped in a tiny flat all day every day its owner cared very little for it and it was skinny and ill.

My dog faces predujice every time we leave the house people (beacuse of the media) are scared and to be honest if you think yuor tough enough to handle it go ahead and get the dog but i'd think long and hard about it. If you attitude continues like this and you spend the whole time wondering whether or not this dog will turn on you i'd re-think the whole idea because thats NOT what rotties are about at all.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

have to say thats very well put couldnt agree with you more on that

whats the point in getting a dog if your always gonna be worried if it will turn on you ???

You won enjoy the dog as you should if you think this

any dog can turn not just certain breeds there will always be some kind of risk owning any breed of dog and if your scared of getting bitten or nipped then owning a dog isnt for you

my god i have had scars and bruises galore from my lot and thats them just playing or me stopping play getting too rough

but thats what its like owning a pack of dogs lol

non of mine are vicious or aggressive just very boystrous and playful when they get into the swing of play

but like i said if your scared of taking a nip or a bite then owning a dog probs aint for you cos...............the smaller breeds can be nippy too

·
Registered
482 Posts
We rescued a rottie bitch last march aged 9 months ,she is one of the softest dogs we have ever had, very much people dogs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts