Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ....does any one keep rough green snakes ... what are they like to keep . Would they be good for a first time snake for my Daughter, she has had some experience with my commons ... Help please

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I think i remember reading that they're not difficult to keep..
but apparently they smell bad. Lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They cant smell as bad as my taiwan... boy it stinks when it sh.ts, every one clears out of the house when i open the viv Lol

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
They are fairly easy to keep but are livefood not rodent feeder. They are also very small and FAST, not really a handleable snake.

Will you daughter prefer something she can handle? If so I wouldnt recommend these.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I bought 3 rough greens a couple of months ago. They are beautiful little snakes that do well in colonies but, as Pendlehog says, if you want to handle your snakes these are not for you. They are very delicate and would get extremely stressed if handled. They need lots of plants as they are semi arboreal, but mine dont seem to know about the semi bit and spend 90% of their time in the plants (I have real ones in there to keep the humidity up). The rest of the time is spent under a pile of dry moss in one corner. They dont seem to use their wet box, but I have seen them bathe in their water bowl occasionally. Unlike most other snakes, the food item (crickets) should not be any bigger than their head. I've never seen mine actually eat, but the crickets vanish and snake poo appears on the leaves of the plants, so presumably all is well. If your daughter does get some, make sure she gets more than one and that they are not wild caught imports.

P.S. They dont smell at all!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have kept several rough greens in the past, i have found them to be amazing animals to watch but not the ideal snake to handle.

Rough green's will feed on crickets instead or mice/rats etc

I would not recommend them for a beginner due to them being fast almost lke the same speed as garters and ribbon snakes.

Your best bet is to start your daughter on a corn or if your looking for something a bit different maybe a western hognose?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts