Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any keepers of Rough scaled sand boas, Eryx conicus on here please ? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this species and will at some point look at adding one to my collection. Any advice or breeders details would be amazing.
I'm in Somerset.
Cheers.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Males are tiny.
Females are beasts.
Hot by day, cold by night.
Just make sure you buy one that is feeding regularly on unscented defrost mice.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Ian,
Can you recommend best substrate ? I've seen about a mix of lignocel and orchid bark, just lignocel or just sand ?
Do you know of many people breeding these in the UK?
Thank you

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
I used aspen. You can use sieved bird sand (to remove bits of grit and shell) but when you consider you need several inches depth of substrate, this becomes VERY heavy.
There are very few people breeding these.
Paulsnakeman on here was breeding them, not sure if he still is though.
If you are getting just one, make sure you get a female. Males are fairly small and slender and can be very fussy feeders. Females, on the other hand, are big, heavy bodied and are feeding machines.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used aspen. You can use sieved bird sand (to remove bits of grit and shell) but when you consider you need several inches depth of substrate, this becomes VERY heavy.
There are very few people breeding these.
Paulsnakeman on here was breeding them, not sure if he still is though.
If you are getting just one, make sure you get a female. Males are fairly small and slender and can be very fussy feeders. Females, on the other hand, are big, heavy bodied and are feeding machines.
Brilliant,
I just thought as they seem hard to come by I'd start trying to get some contacts that may in the future have some availability. Do you use heat mats only or heat mats and over tank light ?
I'm in Somerset but I dont mind travelling when I find the right snake.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
I never used heat mats for my sand boas.
Look at how they love. They inhabit regions that are scorchingly hot by day and freezing cold at night.
They burrow down to escape the heat, so to make them burrow down to find heat is, in my opinion, inappropriate.
Basking bulb by day, no heat at night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts