Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 rabbits, 4 guineas, 3 chinchillas and 2 degus that all need a roughage type feed and I am getting to have too many animals to really enjoy paying pet store prices now.

To be honest I don't really know the difference between hay sold in the pet store and buying timothy hay/burgess excell stuff, so am feeding maybe the more expensive feeds than I need to. I am wondering if anyone could guide me as to what they feed their animals grass/hay wise, especially those that I could get cheaper from an equine supplier than these.

If it helps, this is my local stores website for horse feed. Horses

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hay is hay really. I buy mine in bags from our local farm shop where they also sell it in bales for £4. If you can find somewhere local that sells bales that will save you alot of money as long as you have the space to store it. I find the hay I buy from the farm is actually far better quality than the stuff I buy from pet shops.

I also have a bale of dodson & horrell Just Grass the rabbits get occasionally. They could probably have it more often but not sure on the fat content, if my memory serves me correctly I think its quite fattening

I also buy a 20kg bag of allen & page natural rabbit pellets for about £7 for my rabbits but the nutrition is only guarenteed for 6months once opened so would be a waste for a small number of rabbits.

I do believe Wagg Optimum pellets can be picked up cheaply in asda 10kg or 15kg bags i think.

No idea about food for the others as I only have rabbits but that would save you a few ££

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
I have 3 rabbits, 4 guineas, 3 chinchillas and 2 degus that all need a roughage type feed and I am getting to have too many animals to really enjoy paying pet store prices now.

To be honest I don't really know the difference between hay sold in the pet store and buying timothy hay/burgess excell stuff, so am feeding maybe the more expensive feeds than I need to. I am wondering if anyone could guide me as to what they feed their animals grass/hay wise, especially those that I could get cheaper from an equine supplier than these.

If it helps, this is my local stores website for horse feed. Horses

I feed my chinchillas Timothy hay(it has bigger stalks which is better roughge and good for the teeth I believe) that I buy off a local grower for £5.50 a bale so maybe look around for a grower near you, they also get readigrass that most horse places sell for around £8 a bale

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
i found readigrass very variable in quanlity, have had some really minging bales that i`ve had to throw away - not funny at £9 a bale!

i use dodson and horrel `just grass`, its excellent quality and i`ve had no problems feeding it to all my small critters.

dried grass is quite high in protein and can be quite fattening if you`re heavy handed with it. i mix a couple of big handfulls into my bucket of feed before i go round with it.

great stuff if you cant get hold of decent hay.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice, that all really helped and I will order a bag of the Just Grass

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
its great stuff, i feed it all the time as well as hay, hay is getting so expensive now and hard to get in decent quality around here.

might be worth finding if you can buy hay by the bale tho, if you get an old quilt cover it makes bringing it home easier and less messy too.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Rabbits & Guinea Pigs need long fibre which is only found in hay. Readigrass is fine as a treat but if fed all the time it can cause digestive & teeth problems as it doesn't provide the long fibre they need :whistling2:. Get to a farm & buy a good quality meadow hay (preferably barn dried), a good hay should smell sweet, not musty at all. If it smells musty then avoid it like the plague. I'm a nightmare when buying hay as i pick the bags up (sometimes making a small hole in them) & give them a good sniff to see if they smell sweet :2thumb:.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
i wont buy pre-bagged hay at all because it gets sweaty and goes off.
mine love barley straw too, my bunnies and guineas will eats tons of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts