Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know corns grow slowly but I'm sure Lucy is much smaller than she should be. I got her at a year old, she has ate most weeks since then but will only eat large pinkies and I know she should be on bigger food than that. don't know whether its the fluff on fluffs that she doesn't like.

should I really be trying to give her bigger food?
if keeping to large pinkies how many should she be eating each week?
and how big do you think a corn should be at 2 years old??

thanks in advance for you help.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
at 2 years old a corn should be approx 2.5ft in length and approx 200-250g,

it would be better to try and get her onto fluffs, and the larger food size has more nutrition and are more developed,

firstly try to offer a small fluff that same size as the pink and got from there, it will take a while to get her to do it or she may take straight away, but dont let it deter you and keep trying every couple of week to try and get her onto fluffs, (offering pinks in the mean time to keep her sustained.

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
It is incredibly variable, and I dont think you can say any corn 'should' be a certain size... but, having said that, only eating pinkies doesn't sound great. What weight/length is she?

My corn is now 2 years 2 months, and is 360g and just under a metre long I believe.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well she is around 2.5 ft but only 110g. but she doesn't look thin if you know what I mean she looks and acts so healthy.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have recently purchased some mice that when they are ready I wil be breeding them and can pack them full of goodness and try her with varying sizes too

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
At around 110g mine are on small mice. She won`t be getting enough nutrition out of pinkies now to grow properly. They are lacking in vital calcium and other yummy bits. I`d really try to get her moved up if you can. How many pinks is she taking per feed per week?
Good luck : victory:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have two corns about 9 months old.

One is about 2.5 foot and 140 grams

the other is slightly smaller at just over 2 foot and 100 grams

Both are now on 2 crawlers a week

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it varies sometimes 3, sometimes 2. odd occasion as with all snakes she refuses to feed but then the week after I'll offer her 4. she seldom takes 4 though.
My worry is that as while ago I tried her to take fuzzies, but she refused and I think it stresses her out and then she wouldn't take a pinkie for a few weeks. eventually when dhe got back on her routine of pinkies again I left it as I didn't want her to stop eating again. as she has lost a little weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How much food?

My corn is 6 months and 20" long he is on 2 fuzzies a week. I don't think feeding pinkies at that size is great but at least it is eating!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Two of my corns are about the same age. Nearing on 2 years old.
The snow is easily over 3 foot now. And is on large mice, plus seems to always want more.
The amel is coming up to 3 foot and is also on large mice.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for your imput gyus. but most people are telling me about their snakes. I could do with any tips about how to encourage mine to take larger food. do I try and persevere with the fuzzies being the next stage up and even if she doesn't eat it keep going the next week and so on....

or...... if she refuses it should I give a pinkie in its place, surely this way she is getting her own way and will never improve her eating habits

thanks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump! any more thoughts???

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
The reason why i stated what mine are on. Is because it's a rough guide as to what yours should be on.

If it's on a pinky. Then surely it's no where near the size it should be at 2 years of age.
You should try feeding a fuzzy for a couple of feeds. Then try a small mouse. And so on.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
it varies so much its unbelievbale.
i have 06 that will breed at 300-400 grams, i also have 3 under 50 grams and one of those being 28 i think.. just depends on a lot factors.. if the snake is eating, thats the main thing to start with.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Are we talking rat or mice fluffs/fuzzies? As some snakes have a preference! My snakes love their mice and are coming up to 3 years old and the x large mice at our shop don't leave a lump, so we've switched to rat weaners and one wasn't keen, the other loved them! So we persevered and both are now enjoying the rats (I did cheat though and stored and defrosted the rat weaners with mice fluffs that our smaller snakes are eating) so maybe the scenting helped.

If you're going to offer a food item, especially a new one that she may not be keen on, try dipping the head in very hot water and offering, I've got a few difficult feeders going with that, the heat seems to make them irresistable. Sometimes snakes do just miss the odd week feeding, its us as owners that think they should ahve a weekly meal! I doubt a different food item will stress her, more likely its not something she recognises or accepts immediately as food she wants to eat, it may smell different, look different etc. My friend's corn refuses all brown/black or piebald food items, only white will do! Maybe try offering a pinky and chasing it afterwards with a fuzzy? Fingers crossed for you as a more substantial food item will provide her with more protein, calcium and fat for her growth and development.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bernie, thanks so much, you seem to understand. I think the main thing is that she is eating. and she is a really strange eater, there is no routine with her apart from the fact that she eats on a wednesday usually.
Sometimes she will take it out of my fingers, sometimes she won't but then when I leave it on her log, sometimes she'll eat it sometimes not!
Last week however, she struck for it and got it. first time she's ever done that.
I understand that she should be on medium/large mice even but she couldn't possibly eat those with her being so much smaller than she should be.
I'll get fluffs today and try her. I think if she refused I'll leave it til next week and she should be starving then and more likely to take one.
What do you think?????

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
We've got an 07 Amel that kept refusing small mice, this went on for weeks and weeks with her maybe taking one feed a month, anyway about two months ago we had run out of small mice so we fed her a rat pup, she has not refused a feed since and is now eating two at a time, she loves them

could be worth a try :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yep, they do vary their "pattern" sometimes, I've got snakes that eat without fail every week, same way, same style, strike and its gone!! But I think they're greedy monkeys! Others are fussier, one fed without fail for nearly two years then fasted for 6 weeks...now she never strikes her food anymore, is pickier and will no longer eat when coming into shed, yet always did as a baby. Its a "roll with the punches" scenario, whatever gets them going. As she's quite small, you don't want to stress her system, by offering too large straight away, she'll probably regurge, so build her up over the months, I find my most consistent response to food comes when the item is quite warm and wet (why, I don't know, maybe heat and moisture enhances "mouseyness!") so I defrost them naturally, then dip them in hot water, till the mouse feels warm. The pinky chaser trick may work, as being in a feeding mode response, she's less likely to realise what she's eaten. If she doesn't eat, leave her another week, she'll be more hungry and ready for it. Patience and perserverance. She'll get there, I'm sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ive been meaning to ask about the average size of a corn at 2 yrs cause mine is over 4 ft and my baby 8 month old is nearly 2ft. The older one has been on small mice until recently i was told to feed him larger mice because of his size and the baby is on large pinkies. Nothing irregular about their feeding every 7-8 days never refused a feed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts