Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my male pastel royal has decided he has forgotten the best way to eat a rat is from the nose first and for the last 4 attempts over this last week he has struck the rat and coiled it before attempting to eat it starting at the neck. I watched him struggle and constrict the rat for an hour yesterday before I went to work. I was hoping he would get it sorted and have eaten it whilst I was away but when I got in this morning I was greeted by a right mess. He had well and truly snapped the rats neck and back into a very strange position, rubbed the blood from the rats nose all over the rub and left a very soggy, sorry looking mess of a rat uneaten.

What is wrong with him?!? It should be so simple. Strike, constrict, release, find nose, swallow but he's made a right pigs ear of it this week and resulted in over £6 of rats going in the bin :bash:

Anyone else ever had this problem with a Royal?

He's well grown on now and was 750g empty earlier this month so he has obviously managed to pack away plenty of mice and rats since I got him as a hatchling last September.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Or make it smaller so he can manage to eat it arse first.

Some snakes are just "special" - but most butt-munchers figure it out eventually.

dr del

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Or make it smaller so he can manage to eat it arse first.

Some snakes are just "special" - but most butt-munchers figure it out eventually.

dr del
Butt-muncher! ha ha like it.

I think he is special. The thing is he doesn't even try the bum end he just attempts to eat the thing sideways from the neck or from one of the front legs!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
funnily enough it's my male pastel that does this out of all my horde.
he managed to tear a mouse in half by messing around trying to find a way to eat it...

so i upped his food size. seemed happier with that for some reason. not as flimsy lol

x

·
Registered
354 Posts
My carpet python eats his butt first, and has done for a while now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
used to have the same problem with my old male royal - when he did strike and that was hard enough would always hit body and then try to eat almost sideways...

...did find that heating heat in hot water for a few seconds before feeding helped.

Know where you are coming from constantly putting unused rats into bin

·
Registered
663 Posts
i also have a butt eating frist boa,really who cares which way it goes down just as long as they eat!!:whistling2:
Thats the thing, doesnt sound like it's going down lol

Some of mine strike, miss, coil round it tail first wait for u to disappear then munch at it never had one try n eatit sideways if they cant get it in their gob
Must b special haha
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
My royal was the same, used to try taking it sideways, so moved him up a size, heat with hair dryer and then dunk the head in boiled water for a few seconds. Now he hits nose first and down it goes. He's 14 months, 824g and a happy healthy boy:2thumb:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
YEah we have a butt muncher too, or a side muncher. All a bit special our lot. One that strikes, constricts and then lets it go and doesn't eat (at the mo) little sod.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I also have a butt muncher. He has always been a backwards feeder, and seems to be still I tried playing with heat too but that didn't work either. I just feed a bit small every now and agin he gets two smaller ones.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to defrost the last rat I have tonight and it's quite a big one to be honest. Will try the head in boiling water for 30 seconds before feeding so there's one end definitely warmer than the other.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Also has anyone used Pets At Home frozen rodents? When I went in to buy a new cat flap for my dog at the weekend I picked up Practical Reptile Keeper magazine and the girl asked me if I had reptiles and said they were getting some in soon and that they already sell frozen. I normally get all mine from a small pet shop in town but noticed PAH do deals if you buy several items at a time.

G

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well absolutely no interest from either of them so will be another one in the bin come the morning. I've left it in with the male though he has never taken one I've left before.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Today, Boromir decided to take his mouse bum-first. He's a very 'special' snake as it is, but today was interesting :lol2:

He struck, bloodied the mouse's head, then took the body, constricted it for about 10 minutes, then started munching it backwards. Along the way, he broke a leg off the mouse, but after that it was plain sailing. He's only young, so I'm guessing the 'specialness' of him could wear off!

Amazingly, in what seems to be butt-feeding day, my OH's corn then did the same with her mouse, only she's a bit older, and done it with less of a hassle :lol2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.