Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, here we go, another Royal not eating ?
Well, No.

Hatched last November, About 380g. Always fed great (2 days after purchase).

On mouse fluffs, up to Small/Medium mice, then rat fluffs and now small rat weaners.

Feed one a week (don't want to power feed). Fed him Sunday 13th, by Wednesday he wanted to eat my white cleaning cloth.

Sunday the 20th, a bit late feeding him, he was possessed, snapping about all over the place as soon as i took his rub lid off. Took the rat at first glance, about a foot from his rub.

Do you think a small rat weaner is too small ?

They are about the width of his widest body part, yet his head is tiny.

Always takes his food no issue, no hesitation and accurate strike.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Do you have a photo of him; I'm a bit concerned about you saying that his head is tiny. Normally you would feed 10-15% body weight per meal (or up to 1 1/2 times width) but only overfed royals show what is normally called 'pin head'.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What's odd is that my Royal is younger than yours (born january), on smaller food (jumbo mice) and yet he weighs 500g...
What is stranger still is that I eat like a horse, I'm not fat, but I am a lot smaller than my son. I am bigger than my dad though!
Sorry, couldn't resist a gentle jape, please don't be offended. : victory:

Snakes (like people :lol2:) don't grow at set rates to set sizes, so if the OP's snake is eating and growing steadily, there is really nothing to be worried about. I couldn't even estimate the weight of any snake I have ever owned, I just look at them every day and judge from there what is going on.
If weighing an animal helps a person to gauge whether their animal is growing, then all well and good, but sometimes (like here) it may bring bit of unnecessary doubt into the equation. Sometimes we over complicate things. :blush:
Back to the OP. I've always fed smaller food items to my snakes than the "recommended" size, and none of them have ever starved to death (or got fat either!) Try not to worry because your royal is eating. :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
its eating yet its only 380g?

is it that weight now, or was he that weight when you got him

and hey, atleast its not the normal 'my royal wont eat' post :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
personally i think thats underweight, but, looking at the picture he doesnt look bad :)

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I should have stepped his food up sooner, fed yesterday, eyed up fingers tonight... :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I wouldn't call that a tiny head. He looks all right in that photo in terms of proportions; some royals are more slender than others. I have one skinny type male who got the name Willow because of his build, he has always been like that but if I showed him to anyone they would probably decide that he was half starved. Although Willow is an extreme example it is still true that royals tend to either be long and slender or shorter and chunky; as long as they are feeding and healthy both body types are ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts