Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my royals is starting to play up when it comes to feeding for the first year she fed every week without a miss only the week before she shed ... then i moved onto large mice no issue there then weener rats for about 4 months no probs there then i got a adult rat and since then she has been off her food .. she didn't eat for 4 months i tried putting them in a pillow case bashing the head open and even slitting the guts out which works on my others ....

I didn't fancy force feeding her as this would just stress her out more so i opted for a live mouse it was only in there for about 10 seconds and she had striked it and ate it ... so i left it for a couple of weeks and tried again with a frozen weener she wouldn't touch it and this went on for about 2 months so i went and got another live mouse and same again she ate it straight away , i have since tried a small live rat but she wouldn't touch it and have tried this rat a few times and every time the snake will go up to it and back off and curl up in the corner so i now have a pet rat named lucky .....
This has led me to the conclusion that she does not like rats and prefers mice ....

my questions are as follows ( she is just over 3 years old )

i feed her one live mouse a week is this enough or should i let her eat one and then put another one in straight after ??

or should i feed her on a Friday and then on a Tuesday ???

Also any tips of getting her to eat rats ?

will her health be affected from eating mice and not rats ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its fine to feed your royals mice, in fact some people prefer mice.

To get her on to defrosted food, heat the mouse up and tempt her by offering her nose to nose with the mouse. Maybe slightly knocking her nose with the mouse.

Hope This Helps!
M

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its fine to feed your royals mice, in fact some people prefer mice.

To get her on to defrosted food, heat the mouse up and tempt her by offering her nose to nose with the mouse. Maybe slightly knocking her nose with the mouse.

Hope This Helps!
M
how many would you try her with ? would one a week be ok as she was on small rats .. so would i need two to replace the rat

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
you could try braining the defrotsed mouse..or i tend to defrost them in a plastic bag inside hot water,as then the mouse fur doesnt get wet as they prefer this...alternatively chick scent the mouse as a last resort..mice tend to be have a slightly higher fatty content than rats but if your royal prefers mice then theres no point in stressing her to eating rats if shes happy eating mice..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts