Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ppl,

I've just recently taken on a two year old Royal (called Ellie) and was wondering what time of day people think is best for her to feed?

We tried her with a Weener Rat yesterday at around 7 pm after giving her a good few days to settle in and she wasn't interested at all, so I left it on a log under her basking spot for the evening. She eventually took it at around 9:30 pm we think. I say 'we think' because we have her light on a timer socket, also reducing the temperature on the stat a little for the night and she snatched it when the lights were low!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I feed mine round about midnight, usually get a good response, wont touch rats though!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Hey ppl,

I've just recently taken on a two year old Royal (called Ellie) and was wondering what time of day people think is best for her to feed?

We tried her with a Weener Rat yesterday at around 7 pm after giving her a good few days to settle in and she wasn't interested at all, so I left it on a log under her basking spot for the evening. She eventually took it at around 9:30 pm we think. I say 'we think' because we have her light on a timer socket, also reducing the temperature on the stat a little for the night and she snatched it when the lights were low!

Any suggestions?
If it's working at that time then keep it then. Personally I find that my 2 eat at any time.

I feed mine round about midnight, usually get a good response, wont touch rats though!
My male was like this for ages, try defrosting the rat in a cup with a mouse in it. I think it gets the scent of the mouse that way. Worked for me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Mine eats any time, i have fed mine all sorts of time early morning, mid day, late nitght, every time hes taken it so far.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
ours would eat at any time of the day. However we feed at night when it is starting to get dark. although we vary feed days we do not vary the routine of how they get fed and the time they get fed.

I'm going to bore you all now Dina who came in two weeks ago (owner could not be bothered with her non feeding anymore) well first feed in our home last night and she hit the rat like a missile. :lol2:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I usually feed mine at 8pm give or take. Always goes down!

Cabrera - great news, you must be doing something right!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I feed just before bedtime so about 2230-2300. They have been nice and active for a while by then and the smell of the mouse/ rat defrosting next to them has got them going so they are more than keen come feeding time.

Royals are naturally nocturnal so would hunt in the wild at night which is why they are more active at that time. For me its a no brainer to feed late evening :2thumb:

cabrera ... someones showing off :flrt: :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Next time dinner will be a bit later on for her and I'll leave it somewhere nearer when defrosting to get her appetite up before I let her loose on it lol

And congratulations cabrera thats great!

·
Registered
172 Posts
We feed our girl at about 10 or 11 every friday. She knows as well coz she'll be in her hide and as soon as we start the hairdryer off in the living room she pokes her little nose out and is staring at us when we walk in the room!! :lol2: we never have any trouble feeding her, only time she refused is if she is due a shed and when she was a bit poorly. xx

·
Registered
926 Posts
feeding time

Hi: you are lucky that your royal takes food without any coaxing, my royals will not have their food unless its warmed up, and then i have to wriggle them about. Late night seems to be the time when they will be more aggresive in taking food.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I find with royals, if you get the head of the rat and slowly rub it along the bottom of its mouth, it triggers a strike. If you go crazy and do it fast it just scares them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If it's working at that time then keep it then. Personally I find that my 2 eat at any time.

My male was like this for ages, try defrosting the rat in a cup with a mouse in it. I think it gets the scent of the mouse that way. Worked for me.
Cheers ill give that a try!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi: you are lucky that your royal takes food without any coaxing, my royals will not have their food unless its warmed up, and then i have to wriggle them about. Late night seems to be the time when they will be more aggresive in taking food.
Sometimes it takes about 5 mins for it to strike, i always warm the food up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feed my Royal between 10-11:30 pm. I know they say snakes are deaf but when you heatup the mouse with a hair dryer she gets really nosy and is really eager to feed....( didn't eat a thing from November till july but now she's knocking them back ).

Mine also will only eat mice....your bring a rat anywhere near her and the just shuts down and goes back in her hide. I have tried several times over the last few years but she just doesn't seem to like them, so she's currently a 2 mice a week girl, one Saturday the other on wednesday....she's happy so I'm happy.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I feed mine whenever the rat's defrosted. She takes any time though, and even when in shed. :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
feeding

HI: One of my royals liked mice then rats after eight years old it was getting expensive as she would eat three mice at a time, after some time she made the change over, as you know mice only grow so big. My female is 12 years old now, they never eat all year round good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts