Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 royals 2 nearly have my hand off before i even come near the cage when they can smell food. the other is a female about 245g, she looks as if shes gona strike and most of the time she strikes and misses (me or the mouse im not quite sure which shes trying to get lol) but she can smell the mouse and goes into "feeding mode" with her head coiled back ready to strike. she was sold with a male and he eats fine frozen thawed (sold as both eating medium mice frozen thawed), with no hesitation.

shes eaten a couple of witme with me, the first week i had her then she had a 3 week break then ate last week.

any ideas why she seems ready to feed but dosnt go for the prey?

shes on medium mice and they are the right size for her, so its not a case of the prey size being too big.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Maybe she needs the head super heated to focus where to strike it - if you're not already doing this of course. If not, try it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe she needs the head super heated to focus where to strike it - if you're not already doing this of course. If not, try it.
ok, ill give this a try, i tryed a couple of times with a hairdryer before but it dosnt seem to warm it up too much and she didnt seem interested, ill give it a go, shalli just use a hairdryer?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
If she's striking but not eating maybe something is making her nervous? My ATB used to strike but would always eventually drop the food and not eat it - eventually I figured out that it was because I continued to move around his viv while I was feeding the others. Now I always feed him last and walk away from sight and he eats every time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If she's striking but not eating maybe something is making her nervous? My ATB used to strike but would always eventually drop the food and not eat it - eventually I figured out that it was because I continued to move around his viv while I was feeding the others. Now I always feed him last and walk away from sight and he eats every time. Just a thought.
He says she's ready but not going for it, so she isn't striking it.

I would try dipping the head in hot water for 5 seconds then drying it off with a kichen towel. Some like it this way, some are happy for them to be slightly warm. It's worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It could be a defensive pose, maybe she's still a bit unsettled if you haven't had her for long. Maybe a week or two left alone will help the situation.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cheers guys i ploped the mouse in some hot water for about 2 mins then dryed it off and shes struck first time, cheers.

i think ill do the hot water trick from now on, not the hair dryer one.

thanks

Reactions: lnrak
1 - 8 of 8 Posts