Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on getting my two snakes used to me as they have settled in know and are feeding so i can start handling them but got one out and it was ok and ten it just went mad so i dont want to cause them any stress so is there a less stressful way to get them used to me and then i can handle them wihtout them being so nervous

or shall i just carry on trying to handle them

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
My royal has never really had a problem being handled and sits on my lads lap for most the night. But as for yours just sounds like they need to get used to you so just carry on doing what youre doing as long as it doesnt put them off eating they will soon calm down.

Some of my younger corns go a bit skitish but slowly they are coming around with time. One of my older corns doesnt like to go back and kinda fights to stay out the viv. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
yeah,sound advice.Short and often handling sessions to start with,increasing as you go.Won't take long mate

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Try handling at different times of day maybe, and keep the light fairly low - not too dark, but not bright.

The one you said about probably didn't even realise it was out of the viv at first, and then stressed out when it did.
Try not to put them back just because they're playing up coz they'll learn that they're always put back if they do, so they'll do it every time.
When I've had snakes like this, the first few times I just keep them out until they've calmed down, and then build it up from there by a couple of minutes each time.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
OR try to handle just before feeding? might put them into a bad habit (ie. making them believe you're going to feed them every time you get them out) but would probably get them comfortable with you feeding them?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Trice said:
OR try to handle just before feeding? might put them into a bad habit (ie. making them believe you're going to feed them every time you get them out) but would probably get them comfortable with you feeding them?
Have to disagree with that idea - if a royal's not comfortable it won't eat. If it's unhappy with being handled and you then try to feed it you're very likely to have a refused meal. Wouldn't take the risk of any negative association with food being formed or you could end up with non-eaters.

Plus mine start looking out of their hides almost as soon as their dinner's out of the freezer, and show interest in anything warm from that point on - so if yours can smell food and see lovely warm hands you might get bitten.

Stick with the few minutes of gentle handling at a time, and try to only touch them from below so you feel like ground/tree rather than predator.

When Sav came to me she'd not been handled and wasn't happy about it. At first she'd just stayed balled up, then she'd try to make a run for it, then she'd settle. Once she settled I'd let her go home, and after a while she figured that she didn't need to bother with the hiding and running. Just takes a bit of patience...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ive always handles my male Royal 20 mins before feeding, I figured he'd work up an apetite as I let him roam the sitting room (under strict supervision).
Also after the first couple of weeks and feeds of first having him Ive been handeling him every night for as long as he wishes. He seems to prefer the evenings and quite happily snuggles up on my neck behind my hair, and he normaly pokes his head through to watch the tv too :lol: .
I started off at 5/10 mins handling for first couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd have to say that you shouldn't handle a royal before feeding. any stress can cause problems. thing with royals is that theyare unpreditable. sometimes they are fine and sometimes not. I found it easiest to get my royal out when it was balled up. obviously this means it is slightly stressed to start off with but it can then decide when it is same to poke its head out a have a look around. this way you are doing it on their terms. have to agree that small amount of handling to start off with and work up from that is best. i only handle my royal every other day though

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I guess it all depends on the individual Royal. But if its a new Royal then I would prob agree to not handling before food. Luckily mine has been fine with it and is part of his routine.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i agree all are different. whatever works best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts