Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tika a two year old royal about a month ago. Did all the usual and let her settle in for a week. Her first feed she took the mouse first time so i thought great.
But now she has refused her last two feeds so just wondering what you guys would recommend?
I know it has only been two weeks so not to panic yet but just want to know if its something I can do or change. All her temps and humidity are fine and stable.
Only thing I can think of is that before I got her she was feeding in her viv where as I have always fed my snakes outside of the viv so they don’t digest the aspen. Thinking of putting paper towels down to cover the aspen or a container in her viv so she can eat in there but not in contact with the aspen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the aspen, try feeding in the viv, the snakes aren't stupid, when mine eats in her viv she often gets 1 or 2 bits of aspen on the rat but it comes off as she eats and gets stuck to her mouth and she just goes and rubs against her hide and it comes off. Another reason may just be that she's decided to fast for a while, Royals often do this and with her being 2 years old she should be a good size and fasting for a few weeks shouldn't do her any harm, weigh her now and if in a month she still hasn't eaten weigh her again to see if she's lost any weight, the chances are she won't have so i wouldn't worry too much, either way let me know how you get on

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Royal not feeding

It happens. My two males have been fasting for about 8 weeks now. Did the same last winter, bth went right off eating and hardly came out of the hides but are still shedding great. As Morts said, don't panic yet, keep the temps and humidity up and make sure he doesn't dehydrate and keep offering the food, it'll take it as soon as it's ready.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I agree with the others, my year old girl is going through a picky stage atm, she will eat, then wont eat, then will eat, she has never eaten outside of her viv, she just wont, if your worried about her eating substrate the put some newspaper or kitchen roll down on the viv floor while feeding, although mine wont eat if i do that either.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also used to panic about ingested aspen :) I keep a flat stone in my viv for feeding on not only does it keep the aspen away from the food but it means they know where to go when theyre hungry :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Royals are always like that, they are very fussy eaters. I have read somewhere that some have not eaten for over a year!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My royal was a pain in the a*** for about 6 months with hit and miss feeds, never strike fed and sometimes went 2 months with no food, i tried her on rats mice quail etc. I then tried her on gerbils and she is great, strike feeds once a week and is growing really well, maybe try them.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My year and a bit year old girl didn't seem that interested last night - instead of striking she just ambled up to mouse and opened her mouth and took it gently. Really weird - and completely unlike my boa response - she positively STALKS me sometimes :wink: I have heard (I think on BP.net or RTB) that if you give them slightly smaller sized prey they are more likely not to go on hunger-strike ... but I don't know the truth in that.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a butter corn who takes his mouse very politely, feeding day is Sunday, on Saturdays without fail he will sit at the glass and watch anyone and everyone, Sunday i open the viv and just present him with the mouse and he takes it very nicely and goes back into his hide where he eats, its only when i go to get him out on a wednesday that i will see him again. Luckily my Royals have never refused only my CRB who up to new year had no eaten for 7 weeks but fed Sunday just gone ***touch wood*** i havent had any great worries

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i have come to the conclusion that all royals are fussy wee buggers and that they do the whole im not eating this time stuff to keep us on our toes and to give the royals in question a lot more attention well thats what mine does any way the crafty wee bugger :D :D

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
It is approaching 5 weeks since my royal last fed. I know I shouldn't be too concerned, but her last few sheds have been aweful, since I got her. Lack of nutrition wont help the next shed.

I moved her to a new, bigger viv about a month after I acquired her, and since then, she hasn't eaten a thing. I know I need to try her back in the old viv, see if that sorts her out, but my question is, does she have to go back to the old viv permanently? It is very small, cant fit more than one hide in and a soaking bowl. Can I put her in there the day i intend to feed, then move her after she has eaten?

Also, on the matter of scenting, what do folk use to encourage a royal to eat its dindins? I tried cooked bacon last night, it didnt work.

Sorry for going on, but any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. she is fully grown (about 6y.o.)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
how big is the new viv? if shes used to a small viv, being put into a big one could stress her out and she wont eat, if you are going to put her in to a smaller viv again i would put her in it and leave her for a few days to settle again then try feeding, its probably not a good idea to move her around just leave her in the same one, original viv does sound small, maybe one in between the sizes you have now?
Scenting can be done with a gerbal, just rub the gerbal on the mouse to transfer scent, or chicks can be used, have you tried offering a gerbal on its own, they are rarely refused, only down side is the snake can then decide its only going to eat gerbals and they can be quite expensive.
Did you weigh it before? has it lost any weight?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I haven't weighed her, although she is looking a little more slim than she used to. the viv she was in was temporary, and was only 2foot. she is in a 4 foot one now, and she seems to like the space. there's a large and complete piece of cork bark with three 'tubes' which takes up a lot of space, and a hide box. theres also greenery (plastic) in there, and once it is all in place, the viv does not look that big.

I have thought about getting chicks, but never thought of gerbils. i will try a chick this weekend, and if that doesnt work, i will cover up the viv for a ocuple of days. there was a thread on here where doing this was suggested to encourage feeding

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
It may be worth trying the hairdryer trick !I open the door of freddies viv a wee bit,heat the mouse with the hairdryer the minute freddie gets a whiff of warm mouse strike pose !The mouse does'nt even get to touch the floor of the viv :smile:good luck

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
It may be worth trying the hairdryer trick !I open the door of freddies viv a wee bit,heat the mouse with the hairdryer the minute freddie gets a whiff of warm mouse strike pose !The mouse does'nt even get to touch the floor of the viv :smile:good luck
I read about this the other day and tried it last night with no success. thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
2ft viv will be fine.

I'd put her back in the 2ft viv. I've got a female that weighs about 700g and i only upgraded the size of her tub from a medium contico box to a 18 litre really useful box... she refused food.. the same night i offered i put her back into the contico, she striked both time's.. rat weaner and a small rat gone... I did the same with a male i have, he weighs about 600g, but he still wasn't as impressed, hopefully the move back into the medium contico box will sort him as well. If you can only fit one hide in the 2ft viv, then you might have to construct something or use your imagination with plastic box hide's or something.

I also don't recommend to anyone feeding their royal's outside the viv. I don't see the point, it'll only stress an easily stressed animal. Feeding outwith the viv is supposed to be done to programme a royal into feeding outside the viv... so it doesn't bite inside the viv. A royal will only usually bite if it's hungry and you wake it very quickly and stick a hand in front of it.. and if you smell of rodent or something - you really do have to make a mistake for one to bite.. so i will never understand this concept. Plus conditioning a royal to feed out of the viv.. will only mean the royal will expect food every time it's removed.. again.. i don't think there's any advantage to this.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Just a quick update on my royal Belle.

SHE PIGGED OUT LAST NIGHT!! !st feed of '07.
I know she wasn't fasting for a long time, but I am sooo chuffed right now.

Tapped the rat on her nose, and I thought I overdid it. she went off in the huff. so I tried her on one of my corn's fuzzies, and at last, success. She then had her rat and went looking for more.

I opted to leave her in the larger viv, and cover up the glass to offer privacy. Seems to have done the trick.

Thanks to everyone for their advice...panic now over:smile: :smile: :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts