Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have two royal pythons who have been living up to there finicky reputation. My 3 year old female and 2 yr old male(seperate tanks) refuses to eat rats and no matter what tricks I try they won't eat rats but if I dangle a mouse or multimammate on the other hand they both eat. With both of them considering size I know they need to be on rats rather then jumbo mice. I have tried senting rat with mice, making sure rat is nice and walm, leaving it overnight feeding them multimamate and even tried braining rat, any other ideas or tips to get them off mice onto rats I would really appriciate otherwise how many jumbo mice should I be feeding them a week to make up for 1 rat so far my female has had 3 jumbo mice and a jumbo multimammate my male is on his 3rd jumbo mouse in a week and both are always hungry straight after but as soon as I put a rat in they lose interest.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

I have a mouser too but, since it is an adult male it seems to do well on only two ex-breeder mice per week. He will, out of the blue take a rat some weeks but I would say 5 out of 6 meals will be mice.

I wouldn't be too worried about it since they are eating for you but I understand the problems it can lead to. Normally I would say just match the weight of a small rat ( 100-160g I think? ) with either the multis or the mice.

But, unless you have the time to raise your own multi's this could be pretty expensive.

How long have you held out before offering what you know they will eat? They look to be a good healthy weight so they could probably do ok with up to 8 weeks of you being stubborn about it. :)

Just monitor their weight.

There are a few things you don't mention having tried. Leaving the rat for longer defrosting so it is a little "ripe" ( you need to use a bit of discretion though ). Leaving it overnight in the enclosure. Pre-scenting I have found to be key so I defrost slowly near the enclosures - it may not help all that much in your situation but trying it costs little.

Step down in prey size for the rat - it sounds silly but I have had some capable of eating a small rat who would balk at anything larger than a large weaner.

But, if nothing works don't panic - there are plenty of people who have had females achieve a great weight and body condition, and even bred, on nothing but a mouse based diet. :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
try scenting with a multi, and feeding every 10 days to make them feel a bit hungry or only give them 2 mice each every 10 days then try a rat scented)before the mice. then theres always the chance they will be mousers all there lives.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try a few of those tips people have suggested my male stopped eating completely for about a month and a half then out the blue started eating again but I did try him on a weener got a mouse and he went for mouse, yea those multi's are quite pricey so hope they start liking the taste of rat lol
Thanks everyone for replying.:2thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts