Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dead set on a cornsnake, but the more I read up and look at pictures, the more I believe that I would like a Royal Python. I really dont think that more than one snake is an option at this present time sadly so I have to choose.
I know ultimately I will see a snake and fall in love with it and that will make my decision for me, but I dont want to have a type of snake in my options that I wont be able to care for properly.

Are Royals really THAT hard to keep?

Some sites cite Royals are perfect first snakes as they are docile and easily handlable
Other sites say that Royals are not suited to first time snake owners at all, but seem to give no real reasons...

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes i feel royals are easy to keep but they can be buggers to feed and need a helping hand sometimes,so for a novice keeper it can be a daunting time. If you do your research and speak to royal owners they should be able to give you a honest answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Royals are great to keep, I got mine as a yearling and it had a perfect feed and shed records and hasnt given me any problems.

Just whereever you get it from, ask to see its records and see if you can go in there on the shops feeding days.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
yes, as many have said, royals are great to keep but can be dead annoying if they have feeding problems. but most royals will kick in after a few sessions of assist feeding. they are hugely satisfying when they start eating. get one.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
ive got an adult royal and im about to get a hatchling royal tomorrow i love royals and i find them great to keep but its true they can b little shits to feed sometimes but there are loads of ways to get em feeding and if worst comes to worst a vet could show you the best was to do an assisted feed but it doesnt always come to that there are loads of thigs to try and still not all royals have feeding problems personally i would reccomend a royal as a first snake anyways as i dont think u can beat theyre temperment but at the end of the day its what u feel comfortable with and what takes ur fancy good luck with whatever u choose

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

It seems as though a Royal can be a valid option when the big day comes :D

Following the advice given here, paired with what I've heard is an excellent rep shop locally (hoping to go tomorrow :D ) I'm sure I wont have any problems at all.

I am SO glad I found this place... what would a gal do without you all :?:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Most people will say corns... corns are nice and easy to care for imo.... but ive got 2 royals without any problems so far... both are fantastic feeders and have been from day 1 but you need to keep an eye on humidity and temperature more with them.

G

·
The only real advise i can give if going to a shoip is to ask if you can visit when they are feeding the royals so that you know they are feeding with no problems.A lot of shop do stock captive farmed hatchlings and it is in this instance that you usually get a problem feeder as they have usually been fed baby guinea pigs rather than mice.If you can go to a reputable breeder and you should be able to vitually elliminate this problem

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told hatchlings are about 18inches, will grow 3 to 5ft.

Although they are not a really long snake, they are broader more heavily muscular snakes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Males 3-4ft and females about 5ft..

·
Registered
257 Posts
royals really are in my opinion a the perfect pet snake, alot of people seem to have some trouble getting theres to feed but aslong as you get it from a very respected breeder and you have the correct husbandry there should be no problems!

make sure the enclosure is not to big especially for a baby! and make the temps. 92-94F warm side and 82-84F cold side and 55%-60% humidity except in shed when it should be 70%-75% have two identical hides and put one on each end. makes sure the hides are nice and tight they like to feel almost squashed.

good luck!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I had a corn first then after a month got a royal, it fed fine the first time then decided to refuse food for three weeks, i know thats not a long time now, but to an inexperienced person it was the most stressful time of my short snake keeping life, so whenever people ask i always say royals are not a good first time snake.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Iv got 3 Royals at the moment, 1 adult, sub adult, and 1 hatchling. The only one that isnt eating is the adult male, but to be honest I expect that.

I think they are great snakes so long as you do your research, because as everyone else has said, they can be very stubborn when it comes to feeding, and it can be a right pain in the rear end!! But it is usually easy to overcome.

I say......get a RATSNAKE! Lol, sorry....Couldnt resist....Royals are great, the only python I like enough to keep :lol:

Hope you enjoy whatever you get! But I warn you, it will not stop at just the one...In a few months you will want another...I can guarantee you that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
My royal is the easiest snake to keep. Well a lot easier than my boas, and as easy as any of my corns.

They have a reputation to be fussy feeders, but once you manage to get hem on food, they are greedy feeders.

Nor probs at all, I consider them beginner snakes.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, fussy eaters they are huh?

Well I have 3 children so I know a lot about fussy eaters! I think if I follow advice and make sure that I keep coming back to hound everyone here, a Royal could indeed be my snake of choice!

As for the comment about not stopping at one.... :shock:

I guess its a case of 'watch this space' Havent got the first one yet but I suspect you are right!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
are you planning on your snake being a family, cuddle pet? if so a royal is is definatley not the right one, they are very secretive/solitary animals and will get very stressed with lots of handling and being passed around, whereas corns seem to enjoy being handled and getting attention,I also have three kids and wont get my royal out until they are in bed.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Well, I got my royal about 3 years or so ago. Right after I brough her from the shop, she refused to eat for about 3 weeks. I was getting very upset and concerned.

Then I came up with a solution, which consisted in taking her out of the tub, handling her for 15 minutes or so, place the fuzzy inside her hide, and put her back into the tub at the far end.

Eventually she would go back home and find a little surprise for her. She ate well everytime I did that. Then I tried to wiggle the fuzzy for her to strike, and it didn't work well, so I went back to the previous technique.

She never missed a feed since, brilliant feeder and in all other aspects as well.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts