Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spinner has jus took a rat after a year of not eating! Just as I was going to start trying alternative methods :2thumb:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah been keeping them for nearly 2 years now, it is a big relief when they break out of not eating!

·
Registered
12,821 Posts
Yeah been keeping them for nearly 2 years now, it is a big relief when they break out of not eating!
Great news .... I had an Albino Royal go about 8 months without eating many years ago . Crazy thing is she only lost a couple of ounces in weight and always looked real healthy and active throughout the whole time.

She eats like a trooper now although , of late , I have much better success feeding my Royals every 10 to 14 days rather than every week like all the other species I keep . It was a tip I saw elsewhere though and not my idea . Seems to work great as they a hardly ever refuse nowadays .

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
IMO feeding every 10 - 14 days is better than weekly. Snakes typically have slow metabalisums and can take five or six days to digest a big meal...only then to be given another without having any exercise in between

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just find it strange how you can keep a number of royals all in the same conditions etc and some are just stubborn feeders. I use to keep them in rubs then swapped to vivs. My normal het albino that hadn't fed with me since I had her started feeding but my spinner stopped all the way up untill now. I did read an article explaining that sometimes swapping cages triggers them too feed.

·
Registered
12,821 Posts
I just find it strange how you can keep a number of royals all in the same conditions etc and some are just stubborn feeders. I use to keep them in rubs then swapped to vivs. My normal het albino that hadn't fed with me since I had her started feeding but my spinner stopped all the way up untill now. I did read an article explaining that sometimes swapping cages triggers them too feed.
I've got six Royals ... Two of them practically take my arm off as I wiggle the rat/mouse in front of them , two others ( Albino pair ) are both strike feeders , as well, but seem to take a few strikes to latch on to the rodent ...the other two are drop feeders and will only eat when I leave the room and give them a bit of peace ... Weird .

Each one is stunningly beautiful and so calm and placid though ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they was easy they would be boring!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts