Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I have recently purchased a four month old female royal python. But am a little unsure how often I should feed her, as the reptile shop we got her from was feeding her once a week, however she seems to be looking for food before the week is up. I have read lots of literature which suggests that some will eat every four days as juveniles thus should I be feeding her every four days as suggested. She seems a little bit on the thin side for a royal and we know that she wasn't eating for a while ( the shop wouldn't let us have her for a few weeks as she had stopped eating when he tried her on rat pups and would only return to feeding when left alone with a hopper mouse) I am concerned that this prey may be too small, and thus I need to feed her more regularly. I have noticed she is quite active at night and seems to enjoy exploring her new viv,

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially as this is my first snake. :Na_Na_Na_Na::Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
297 Posts
HI I have recently purchased a four month old female royal python. But am a little unsure how often I should feed her, as the reptile shop we got her from was feeding her once a week, however she seems to be looking for food before the week is up. I have read lots of literature which suggests that some will eat every four days as juveniles thus should I be feeding her every four days as suggested. She seems a little bit on the thin side for a royal and we know that she wasn't eating for a while ( the shop wouldn't let us have her for a few weeks as she had stopped eating when he tried her on rat pups and would only return to feeding when left alone with a hopper mouse) I am concerned that this prey may be too small, and thus I need to feed her more regularly. I have noticed she is quite active at night and seems to enjoy exploring her new viv,
Any advice would be much appreciated, especially as this is my first snake. :Na_Na_Na_Na::Na_Na_Na_Na:
Okay couple of things

Royals have a slow metabolism, even for a snake, which means they digest food slower (though possibly get more from it) feeding every 4 days is quite a bit for a hatchling corn snake (which would have a quicker metabolism).

Juvy royals feed well every week and a half, or every week if you're trying to get more meals down them. As yours is a hatchling once a week should be about spot on.

A 4 month old snake (even a royal) doesn't have the reserves an older snake might have so its relatively important to minimize missed meals when they're this small (though an adult can go months and months healthily), you'll also probably get somewhat better nutrition from mice at this stage as size appropriate rats will be young and fatty.

The activity you've seen is a good sign, one of the first things you're looking for in a healthy snake is curiosity, energy (or at least alertness) and tongue flicking.

Some animals prefer one food type to another, you don't want a royal eating mice all its life as that'll get expensive, but you can worry about getting rats down it when its bigger! For now, the focus is "get a meal in them" and if its eating mice that means mice.

As far as Royals go, they're nervous feeders, when established they do well but it can be easy to stress them if you're new to looking after them. First off, make sure you've stopped handling it completely, you're snake isn't eating when it needs to (which should now be once a week) over this time you need to make sure temps are right (31-34c warm side will keep 'em happy), the snake hasn't been disturbed apart from the basics (Changing water, spot cleaning)

When they're being fussy put 'em in a small tub (if each half is the size of the snake coiled up that'd be what works for me) with a mouse about as thick as the thick bit of her middle (yes you can go bigger, but they're being fussy so again its getting a meal in them)

Of course, if the snake's happy to eat mice in her normal setting, and its just rats she's being fussy with, give her mice there! The moving to a smaller box helps with fussy eaters, but if they'll eat without then you don't need to do that.

(Sorry for the essay)

·
Registered
459 Posts
If it'll take rats, get it on rats every 7 days. Rats are better for royals, but if out won't take them mice are better than nothing. Hoppers sound too small though. What weight is it?

·
Registered
37 Posts

if i've posted it right hopefully this will help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts