Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was Hannibal's first feeding day with me. I got him last Sunday, and gave him some time to settle in. Then today I thawed the mouse, dried it and offfered it to him but he wasnt interested at all - he came within a centimetre of the mouse's face and then slithered on. So I was quite worried that it would be another case of a starving python. Anyways, i thought that maybe it didnt eat because i removed the whole lid. So, after some time (with the lovely mouse left close to his faunarum so he could smeell it) I decided to try again. As soon as I opened the smaller fo the two 'doors' he looked up in interest. I just managed to put the mouse in and bang - he caught it and started to twist around it. I must say the speed of the 'attack' was really scary and im still a bit shaky after the feed. So after he started to swallow the mouse, I left him for about 7 mins, then i come back and the mouse was nowhere to be seen loool (cos he was half hiding inside hide). When he came out I saw it was at about 3/5 of his length =] Anyways, the moral of this long story is: Dont be put off ball pythons just because people say that they dont eat! : victory:

Ooh and thx for reading =]

Btw thx to all people from my previous thread who recommended a royal as my first snake =P Ill be posting pics of him on the weekend, when he finishes digesting his meal - but trust me its worth the wait!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i'm sure my royal recognizes the hairdryer warming his food up for him lol
nose generally pressed up against the tub soon as lid opens head up and bang he's got it:lol2:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol the mouse kept on rolling round on the lowest power setting of the hairdryer it was quite funny in a way:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah very early mate took mine 2 weeks without any interaction apart from daily water change now no stoppin him

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
about 2weeks back my royal just started swallowing the mouse while i was holding it...? sometimes he strikes or if i leave it he'll eat it at night,not bothered as he's eating n growing!:2thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Surely its not the noise of the hairdryer just the simple fact that warm mouse/rat scented air is being blown around the room?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well IMO its the air vibrations lol. But ye, I think that the reason it fed quite well so early on is because i left the mouse to thaw in warm water next to the faunarium, so he picked up the scent... and also, afetr a while of handling the mouse, its nose went bloody, so maybe that encouraged Hannibal:lol2:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a great experience with my 07 male royal that hadnt been feeding since i got him three months ago. Last week he took a mouse straight of the tongs for me and last night after defrosting the mouse. I opened his viv and he was nowhere to be seen so i held the mouse on the tongs and blew over the mouse into the viv almost instantly his head apeared from his hide i moved the mouse infront and WHAM mouse gone.

I cant beleve i was sooooo worried about him being a non feeder and now he is really proving out to be one of my best!!

Patience is the key

1 - 10 of 10 Posts