Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a CB13 Royal ball python from monkfield he has fed 4 times there but hasnt fed in 5 weeks. I have tried mice and rats various sizes but what i find strange is that if the rat touches him he flips about rubbing his head in his viv or bedding. He is on a thermostat controlled heat matt at 33~35degrees
Any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks
kris

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
is he due for a shed majority of snakes (not all) go of food when coming upto/in their shed cycle, don't really think this ones gunna be any where near but how much does he weigh? some royals get to a certain weight and then fast for a while? you could drop temps down to 32c (90ish f) what size viv is he in? does he have enough hide out to feel secure, the more information we get the more we can help you. : victory:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey

he has a hide but never hides in it he tends to sit in one place alot. im not sure on his weight or shed cycle i will have to check them. i dont think he has hit a heavy weight you can see he is underweight and hasnt eaten for a while. his viv is just over 1 foot wide half foot deep and a foot high. he does have bamboo root and a vine to climb on aswell. he was in a smaller viv but ive put him in one slightly bigger so he can stretch out and climb wich he seems to like.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Hey

he has a hide but never hides in it he tends to sit in one place alot. im not sure on his weight or shed cycle i will have to check them. i dont think he has hit a heavy weight you can see he is underweight and hasnt eaten for a while. his viv is just over 1 foot wide half foot deep and a foot high. he does have bamboo root and a vine to climb on aswell. he was in a smaller viv but ive put him in one slightly bigger so he can stretch out and climb wich he seems to like.

Thanks

Chris
Has he ever eaten for you?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You could try feeding him live just to spark him eating again... If he doesn't take that then I would suggest to assist feed him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he hasnt fed for me he has only been at mine since friday. He is one i brought home from work as he wasnt feeding there i though being in a quite home and in a slight bigger viv might help abit more.
Cant get live food around were i am unfortunatly.

kris

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ok,so you haven't actually had him very long then.

As he is underweight,I understand the desire to get him feeding,but,he could still be settling in to his new home.

What exactly did he feed on when he did feed?

Rats or mice?

Can you get hold of day old chicks? as he is a CB13,day old chicks are probably too big,would you be able to get hold of day old bantam or quail chicks?
Squeezing chicks abdomens so the remaining yolk sac inside them ruptures, a lot of non feeding snakes can't resist.

Have you tried leaving a defrosted rat and mouse inside his viv,with a towel draped over the viv over night?

Just remembered,there is a section on getting hatchlings to feed on here,in the snake section-have you read through this article yet?

Good luck,hope you get him/her to feed soon.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Can you get hold of day old chicks? as he is a CB13,day old chicks are probably too big,would you be able to get hold of day old bantam or quail chicks?
I have used just the legs from a day old chick in the past to trigger a feed response in hatchlings, only takes a few feeds like that then they will usually take scented prey.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have a thermometer set up measuring your temps buddy or that just what the stat is set too?

There's afew tricks you can try to kickstart feeding but there a waste of time if your husbandry isn't spot on, because your wee royal will most likely not eat if certain conditions aren't met.

First you want to make sure your temps are correct with a thermometer, don't trust the stat, there will be a variance in the device so don't trust it.

Second, RAM the viv with cover, no pretty plants you want lots of boxes all interlinked to let the little guy move freely through the viv whilst always being under cover, I like to set up 4 boxes in each corner interlinked with kitchen roll tubes :D

Once you've got the cover and temps sorted, leave the snake alone for a week to settle in, no handling. Just change water daily and check temps, let him settle in and then try the tips above to kick start feeding.

Pics of your setup would also be helpful bro

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would definitely drop your temps to 30 degrees warm end and 26 cool end, then check humidity, and have plenty of hides or cover rub with a towel and as already been said leave to settle in for a few days and try to feed only once a week.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would definitely drop your temps to 30 degrees warm end and 26 cool end, then check humidity, and have plenty of hides or cover rub with a towel and as already been said leave to settle in for a few days and try to feed only once a week.
30C is to cool, OP I would suggest to drop your hot spot to 32C.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have used just the legs from a day old chick in the past to trigger a feed response in hatchlings, only takes a few feeds like that then they will usually take scented prey.

Thanks for that,I'm being thick again :whistling2: (no surprises there lol). Not had any hatchlings now for over 10 years and forgotten more than I ever learned............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts