Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon

Should this worry me and/or any advice to tackle it?

Our pythons have just been moved into a bigger vivarium maybe a couple months ago. They seem happy, feeding as normal (for them!), same floor substrate, same decor that they might have rubbed against to aid shedding and few extra bits, same deep water bowl etc. I had to upgrade the bulb to get this viv up to temp, temp drops at night etc......as far as I can tell, everything is as it should be.

They used to shed well, never a whole skin in one go, typical of royals, but they used to shed easily. They've both now shed since being in there but it's all been in bits and pieces, with still a few bits on them now. One of them hadn't shed the bits off the eyes straight away but I left it a few days before worrying and they appear to have come free.

It's strange that they've shed so differently to before, and that both of them have done the same, and that it's been since moving to the new viv!

Why has this happened?
Is it normal and/or ok?
Should I be doing anything else to help?
Would I ever need to try remove any myself, particularly the eyes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
John

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Can you provide details on the enclosures (presumably you are keeping them individually and not cohabiting ?) including heating and humidity levels.

It's quite common for royals to shed in sections rather than in one piece, and a luke warm bath (just enough to cover the snake and at no more than 30c) and then rub the stuck skin off when soft. Have a search through the forum as various other methods to aid the shedding have been discussed in the past

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
Sounds like a humidity level issue ??

The trick with many and certainly Royals is to wait until they go blue / into shed ( they usually disappear for a few days ) then ensure you spray the viv well daily ...

THEN crucially when they make an appearance and get their colour back / eyes clear ... you should spray well each morning and evening ( and between if poss) they will shed perfectly each time ..

You will usually find their shedded skin in a filthy rolled up mess under a hide somewhere a few days later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would provide a humid hide and have this available to them at all times. Spraying can help, but it is often too late by the time most people start. If a humid hide is available the whole time it should prevent most of these issues. Royals can, do, and should shed in 1 piece, just like most other snakes, if conditions are right.

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
That's true of course , keeping the humidity levels right is a given .... The more frequent spraying especially when the eyes clear and colour returns just ensures a perfect one piece shed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again.

When you guys say a humid hide, do you mean like a box with damp moss in it?
I did a similar thing for my tortoise when kt was a baby! Or is there something I can buy to do the job?

Buy or make, is there a way to keep a hide humid without spraying the interior of it very day? That's for example what I did to the tortoise hide!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks again.

When you guys say a humid hide, do you mean like a box with damp moss in it?
I did a similar thing for my tortoise when kt was a baby! Or is there something I can buy to do the job?

Buy or make, is there a way to keep a hide humid without spraying the interior of it very day? That's for example what I did to the tortoise hide!
Buy a tupperware box and cut a hole either in the side or in the lid that is just big enough for the snake to get in and out of. Fill with damp moss and you're all set. Because the lid is on and the entrance is small, you should only need to add moisture every few days or even once a week, I'd have thought.

Not sure how that differs from what you provided for your tortoise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a tupperware box and cut a hole either in the side or in the lid that is just big enough for the snake to get in and out of. Fill with damp.....

Not sure how that differs from what you provided for your tortoise.
Exactly the same, I just need a bigger box for these snakes and some fresh moss!
Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our royal must be the exception to the rule then as she always sheds in one piece! :2thumb:

I use orchid bark which hold the moisture, cork bark/logs and moss inside. When she looks like she is about to shed I mist the viv every morning once the light comes on to bump up the humidity.

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
Our royal must be the exception to the rule then as she always sheds in one piece! :2thumb:

I use orchid bark which hold the moisture, cork bark/logs and moss inside. When she looks like she is about to shed I mist the viv every morning once the light comes on to bump up the humidity.

All mine have perfect sheds ... the secret is to wait till they go into shed mode ( Royals will disappear for days lol) then as soon as their eyes clear I spray the vivs three times daily ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts