Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im new on here, so wanted to firstly say hello to everyone!
I live in norfolk, and have kept reptiles of all sorts for last 7 years now.

I came on here, as im in need of help badly!
I purchased 2 hatchlings 2 years ago, and surprise, they wouldnt feed!
After a month I read all different ways and tried them all it seems, so ended up force feeding, which they both took to. Since then they gained weight nicely eatting normally.
The male was 540 gms in sep09. Then at xmas he stopped eating completely. Since then he dropped to 500 grams as of tonight!
The vivarium is exactly the same as before! But nothing! Im getting worried now, as his back is getting boney! And he should be gaining weight at his age!
Now he has a gorgeous shine to him, doesnt seem to be weezy.
I have a ceramic heater (with guard) and kept the temp the same. With all heat at one end. Two good hides, one hot end and one cold end.

Any suggestions, or criticism much appreciated!!

Sorry about the essay! Thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Royals do seem to just do this! Im no expert but my royal did the same at around 450g, and after over 2 months of no success trying all different methods I tried a chick. Worked a treat. I have since stuffed a mouse inside a chick too for some extra calcium. Like I said Im not an expert, this was just my experience. Others will help you more for sure!

Kay.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As said above. Try him on a variation of food or downsize it too a rat pup and see what happens. My boy sammy didnt eat for 2 years then decided that he would eat for a few months. Now I dont get worried anymore, after checking his teeth too see if they were loose (they were fine), I come too this philosophy whith royal: They'll eat when they want too. My fiance's boa had a tooth stuck in her lower jaw hence her not eating.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, I will try that!
I didnt mind to start with, but he started looking thin, I can see his back bone, so started worring!
Got a few great tricks to try now! :2thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts