Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again... :lol:

Just wanted to check I have everything for my royals set up:

Heat mat
Thermostat
Water Bowl
2 Hides (currenly using plastic mushroom cartons turned upside down, with a door cut in them, bit lightweight i think as they keep moving around).
Substrate (paper towels at present)
Just ordered some rat pups from Camzoo

Am I missing anything? Too many caresheets around with lost of contradictory info.

Fiona

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That sounds suitable. I wish you the very best with your Royal. I expect picture when you find one :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after reading lots of different info online, does a royal need a heatpad or is a heat bulb and bulb guard adequate?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Thats entirley upto you but I wouldn't solely use a heat matt for heat you will need a ceramic or something like that... Personally I have a ceramic bulb to heat the cage and produce the hot spot. This is on a day/night dimmer that drops the temp in the night but I also have a heat matt that is just used throughout the night... also on a thermostat set to around 80f I think. He gets the best of both worlds then :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys -

managed find a cheap thermometer thingy off ebay, the mone I had eas crap, also ordered a bulb and fitting and guard etc.

The studpid people in the shop said a heat pad would be enough which is what they have has, had to add extra heat by using a microwaveable heat pad to the side!

Need to wait til,next month for deco etc, but I have done it I willpost a pic!

Thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
While a heat mat may be ok at this time of year just to provide a warmer spot, during the colder months it won't raise the ambient temp much, if any.
A ceramic (on a pulse stat) or red bulb (on a dimming stat) would do the job properly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds good for the first year when gets bigger its ideal to move it to viv with saramic heat. but as u prob no thye like smaller vivs so a plastic tub be fine when young :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes, a heatmat should heat a tub ok for a royal all year round, as long as it's not too high - no higher than about 10".

Sorry, I thought we were talking about an actual viv :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts