Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peoples,

Borris has gone into shed (the first time since we have had him) he is just coming up a year old. How long does it take for a snake to shed normally? I am thinking that this might be a how long is a piece of string question but I thought i would ask anyway.

It is typical, we hadn't seen him for a day or so, permanently hiding, So last night I decided i want to check he was actually alive in the hut. So I lifted his cave and lifted him out. (which took courage for me. He does make me nervous still, and I didn't want to disturb him in his "safe" place) took one look at him and put him back. Amazed he didn't tag me. Perhaps he really is just dog tame.

·
Registered
64 Posts
when in slough it can be a couple of days to a week from cloudy eye satge but once the actual skin starts to come off its quite quick and really wired to watch just make shore the eye shields are in the skin of the head and not still on the snake

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put an extra water bowl in today up the warm end so he can go soak if he wants also should make it a little more humid for him.

I will keep and eye (no pun intended) on the eye caps when he comes to shed.

Something else to add to his diary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Shed

Yeh it can generally take a week, or even overnight.

Just make sure you spray the hide and the roof of the vivarium also the side's of the vivarium aswell to keep the humidity nice and high.

:)

Liam

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now for me to get flammed for not checking things out before buying blah blah blah, I have checked out most things but when I went to buy a hygrometer? They told me not to worry about the humidity for a Royal as it will be happy in standard household humidities.

Is this correct or have i been ill advised?
If i have been ill advised what humidity should it be normally and what should i raise it to when in Slough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you were avised correct but but for when in slough just spay the sides and top of viv and maybe the inside of the hide with water untill he has shed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok update from the other week, Borris shed nicely however he STILL has a few bits on the back of his neck. I am worried they will annoy, get infected whatever. How can i help him get rid of the last of his skin?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Give him a warm bath and let him "run" through a wet towel whilst in the bath.

Don't pull the skin off though, let it come off on its own, you could harm him and even pull some scales off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bath time tonight then. how long can i leave him in the bath for? (not leave as in walk away but you know what i mean)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
leave him till the water starts to get too cold, don't want to chill him out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts