Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Royal Python is striking but completely missing his rat. Is there any known reason for this, they are both (the male and female) doing this but never as bad as tonight. He just keeps striking as if to go for my hand rather than rat.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Our Royal Python is striking but completely missing his rat. Is there any known reason for this, they are both (the male and female) doing this but never as bad as tonight. He just keeps striking as if to go for my hand rather than rat.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Put half the body of the rat in some hot water and leave for a minute, then make sure that it's not burning hot obviously just make sure the rat is warm to the touch, you can even try using a hair dryer.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It could be a defensive strike...so not really aiming for anything in general but just trying to scare off the thing dangling in its face

Leave the prey in overnight would be my suggestion...he might not want it and you'll soon know tomorrow morning when u check

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He only shed a couple of weeks ago though and has never been that bad previously when coming into shed. Can't see it being that again so soon but thanks anyway, just dont get it!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be a defensive strike...so not really aiming for anything in general but just trying to scare off the thing dangling in its face

Leave the prey in overnight would be my suggestion...he might not want it and you'll soon know tomorrow morning when u check

I did wonder about that to be honest. Have left it in there so will see what happens, he normally quite good for that though and been hunting loads or so we thought :-/

Thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I did wonder about that to be honest. Have left it in there so will see what happens, he normally quite good for that though and been hunting loads or so we thought :-/

Thanks
He could well be hunting....but maybe for a lady instead?!

I fed my lot last week and had the same thing with a couple of them... just weren't interested and were striking defensively.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My 6 year old Royal male always struck at his food but lately he's not bothered and so I now I drop feed him and it's always been taken. So I wouldn't stress out and I'd just drop feed and see how it goes :2thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its funny now you say that he has been a lot more active the last few days lying out in the open a lot rather than in his hides thought he was hunting for food but maybe not. Seems like he has a strong feeding mode though he is pulsing and tongue is flicking like crazy.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If they are striking at you hand and not the rat then it could be because your hand is giving off a higher heat signal. Try long tongues and try heat the rat right through and dip the head. Mine go on the radiators this time of year and get to a good temp, some of my royal will take them without having to touch the water.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Purely out of interest, what relevance does it being a spider have?

I have seen Spiders that become inaccurate with their strike as they get older due to the wobble increasing with age.

i wasn't looking for an argument, genuine question to try and help.the spider debates been done to death.: victory:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's not striking at my hand just seems more interested in my hand left it in overnight but did not take. gonna leave him a week and try again. Not too worried at the min he's quite a chubby boy for his age.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My female was doing exactly the same thing, seemed to be more interested in my hand and very in-accurate. when she finally got a hold of the mouse she constricted it and then just let it go and lost interest, this happened for 4 weeks then she started feeding again normally. Turns out she was fasting and striking out of defence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts