Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering when i should move to the next size viv
my two royals ar in a 2 foot wide by 1.5 feet high and wide

the snakes are 20inches long

was thinking of a 36'' long 15'' wide and 23'' high

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i would move up personally but you dont want to put them off there feeding so i would see what others say first :D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i could do with a over view becuase there in a all glass viv and i have come to the conclusion that it is not right for them and a wooden viv is better so they feel more safe (not the right word) becasue there safe anyway but dont want to really by the same size viv in wood only to have to replace it in a few months but i would very much like everyones opinion

cheers in advance sam

·
Registered
58 Posts
Build your own vivs, thats what I do - saves a fortune and it is easy if you take your time and plan it properly.
I am about to move my royals into two wooden vivs I am 75% through building - just need to do glass, runners & electrics and thats it.
I gave up on buying vivs years ago - way too expensive.
As far as size goes, I would maybe double the size of the viv (or vivs) they are in so as not to worry them, but be prepared to move them up again at a later date. I would also make sure there are lots of hiding places and perhaps use deeper than usual substrate so they can hide in that too.
Also, keep the old setup(s) in case they refuse to feed and you need to revert them temporarily.

Best of luck

John

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers have thought about buiding my own so you would get a bigger viv for them

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i would say deffo build your own and yes wooden is better for royals as they would feel safer :D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my thoughts exactly i have thought a wooden viv is better should have got one in the first place but will the size be ok for my royals????

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my royal is about 24 inches long,she is in a 4 foot by 2 foot by 18 inch viv,now I know some people are going to go mad about that but she eats every time food is offered , she is active at night and has just had a 100% shed yesterday,she has 3 hides, one at each end and one in the middle, anyway, back to the question, I think the viv size you said would be ok, I agree with makarok about keeping old viv just in case you need them, if the snakes are ok in the new viv you can get something else to put in the old ones. :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
thats great thinkin mark my thoughts exactly :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd go for a couple of large Really Useful boxes as the next step - it'd be a cheap step up and you'd have them separated which would be better in the long run. (When you do move them to vivs the boxes can be used for holding while cleaning out, and for giving baths if you don't put the vent holes too low.)
In the meantime you could have a practice at making your own vivs - I'd go for something with more depth than height - say 36Lx18Hx24D. Or maybe even just 30" long.
The depth would give them a bit more privacy, and although they like climbing, they're not really built for it so you don't need much height for them to get good excercise - about 18" would be fine.

That's how I'd do it anyway - I'd definitely be looking to separate them, it'll make life easier for you when feeding, and if either has any health problems.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
20 inches in a 2 foot viv seems ok for royals in my humble opinion. I'd wait a little longer, unless you're feeling the urge of buying a new viv, do a better decoration, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts