Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my problem is, My royal has started to give out "wheezing" noises tonight. And im worried its Respitory Infection. He has been drinkin quite alot in the last few days while he has been out. Im quite concerned. I checked his mouth, and its quite, "salivery" more then usual (not alot, but a little) Could this just a blocked nose sort of thing (like a cold) or is this serous.

Scott

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moved to newspaper (was on Aspen) Never changed cages at 2 in the morning...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
has he/she spent alot of time in its water bowl, because when i first got my burm, she wheezed, and i got really worried, put her on paper towl, and she just passed a little liquid from her nose, couple of bubbles and that was it. i think she must of inhaled a little, but she was fine from then on, but if in any doubt contact a pro.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
yeah if I remember rightly lower the humidity slightly and raise the temps for a week. That should help clear it up. If it gets worse consult a vet :wink:

Good luck

·
Registered
380 Posts
def soundsl like an ri, put a smaller water bowl in the viv, dont mist it and turn the temps up a bit.
if your really worried about it gimme a shout, im in west lothian and i could take a look at her for ya, would save a vet bill. if need be i also have some baytril to treat her

G

·
I agree with the others on this.It sounds like your snake has a mild RI.Put in a small water bowl and reduce the humidity as much as possible to dry out the lungs.Bump the temps up by a few degrees and you should be able to clear it.If it is still a problem and no better in a few days then a trip to Ross or the vets would be in order.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I am defernetly going to do this greenphase. Don't you worry :)

Thanks Alot Everyone. I read in my "Whats Wrong With My Snake?" book up on RI. And it says;

"Swellin of the head region and skin around the nares just prior to shedding may be accompanied by wheezing."

And He defernetly is coming up to shed. And im kind of troubled what to do. because if it is RI (And im going to treat it as worst case scenario) and he needs to shed, im going to need to up humiderty. But this will do worse to his infection if he has one.

He has not wheezed today while i got him out. He's on Newspaper with a smaller water bowl which is only about 2 cm's deep. I put the heat lamp on for a while just to raise the cage temperture, but it seemed to be gettin to hot on the cool side. So i turned it off.

Scott.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly check nose for particles or obstruction. Is the snake going into shed? Could be consequence. If not turn temps up for 3 days. If continues to get worse will require VET and cash. Bit of advice change the heat source as I presume you must be using a mat and stat. Seen a number of RI from this setup. FOR PYTHONS YOU MUST HEAT THE AIR FULL STOP. If so get better setup as treatment for RI is expensive and damaging to the snake. Sample from trachea will be required to determine correct antibiotics for use. Probably be given broad spectrum (bayrtil) or something if condition worsens. Hopefully its nothing serious and sorts itself out. If you give the snake antibiotics you must also hydrate the snake to compensate for the dehydration antibiotics could cause. 90% of RI are from incorrect setup.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Im feeling guilty after all that. I've been using a heat mat yes. Always at correct temperture. I just hope it's nothing serous. And I'd rather not bother ross and steal his baytril. but if i have too, I have too :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
i use a heat matt but also a reptile radiator for the air temps as well. Think the RIs are picked up as the air temp isn't warm enough! Same as you or I. Stay in the cold weather long enough your likely to catch a cold

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How Do These Repti Radiotors Work Then? Pretty Expensive are they not?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd rather not bother ross and steal his baytril. but if i have too, I have too
this is what im here for meltos, dont worry about the baytril either, i have injectible (we shouldnt need this) or powder form (would prob do fine and wont cause any damage to the snake) i dont pay for the stuff myself anyway, a lot gets donated to the rescue
if you need help mate its not a problem, can have a look at her first if you want, im heading up to fife anyway.
p.s as most will probably know, i dont charge a penny for my work either

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ross, That would be great. I'll keep an eye on him. as i said, not any wheezing today. Im convinced it's just prior to shed, or maybe i just want it to be this. But fingers crossed it will pass over :)

Ross, If anythin comes up, I'll Pm you or give you a ring, Thanks alot. really is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Meltos said:
How Do These Repti Radiators Work Then? Pretty Expensive are they not?
£50-60 depending where you get them but they just screw onto the roof of the viv like a normal ceramic

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, I think i've seen them on the side walls, Never on top. Are they ament to be on top, or does it not really matter. I'll look into it, I think im just going to get a low wattage ceramic.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Meltos said:
Hmm, I think i've seen them on the side walls, Never on top. Are they ament to be on top, or does it not really matter. I'll look into it, I think im just going to get a low wattage ceramic.
Lowest ones after that are 60w pearlco's I think... Radiators are only 75w :wink:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13010&highlight=radiator

Heres a review I done on them.... some pic's as well :wink:

Keep us informed of how ya royals doing :!:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I've heard mine wheeze slightly, and i've seen me wait about a week and they returned to normal. I think when they dunk themselves in water, they can maybe get a little water in the nostrils (this is my theory), then when left alone (my temps are fine, no need for me to increase them), they are perfectly fine after a shed. Neither of mine have developed any symptoms of RI (liquid from the mouth, mouth gaping), and needed treatment.

Depending on the set up you have, i always feel 60W bulbs produce too much heat (unless you have the light hanging from about a 4ft height? lol), i'd go with 40W, or 25W.. after all this is only to produce ambient air temperatures, and not a basking temperature (where your heat mat is). The temperature in my reptile rooms is roughly 77F, and a 25W bulb will produce 80-85F ambient temp's in the warmest areas of the viv.. which is spot on. Alternatively you culd get a stat for your light and use a 60W bulb. I was also recommended a 60W bulb from a reptile shop (when i 1st started).. then when i measured the temperature was greatly disappointed to find ambient temp's of around 100F.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts