Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i've got a royal python, lesser platinum! ive had im nearly a year! and he's eatten only twice! he's about 2 and a half years old now! and he is soo tiny compared to my friends royal the same age, he was only about 400 grams last time i weighed him!! :( has anyone got any tips or hints to what i can do to try and get him to eat!
ive tryed different colured mice, different sizes, defrosting on the fire, and in boiling water! i dont no what else to do for him! he's a damn fussy git, just like his owner :/

cheers xx xx

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
So so many things to try, have a search on here and it will spew up numerous threads giving advice :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
agreed with the above
without knowing how the snake is kept no one can give you a good starting point
describe set up/temps and we can go from there and hopefully get the lil one feeding
Regards
Ryan

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Slice the top of the mouses head of so brain juice comes out and offer, put some paper towel into the snakes enclosure put mouse in overnight on the paper towel.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
i took my royal out in the car for a half hour drive came back and left him for about an hour then gave him a warmed up large mouse and he ate it has been eating now for a week (every three days)he hadnt fed for 8 months

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
At his age and size it seems very strange to of eaten twice in a year.

I take it it has eaten defrost with you but was it a live feeder when you got it?

Double check all your set up, size of viv, temps, humidity, plenty of hides.

If you have all these bag on and they have been for a while then I would go and get myself a live mouse from somewhere.

Every single bad feeder or slow starter Ive ever had, give them one live mouse and there away again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thanks for the replys, :)
ive put somewhere else for him to hide in his viv, empty cappuccino box, hehe!! so know he's got 3 hides to choose from!
iv'e turned up the heat mat slightly, but with the light and the heat matt it goes too hot, so im gonna go into town and see if i can one of those dimable bulb for it, cause its all set up though the habistat thing on the back.
thanks guys, im new to snakes soo still learning on a few things! :)

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Any heating element should be on a thermostat, plus why a bulb and a mat.
Need to know what your temps are and what the viv set up is like,ie how many hides what size and how much cover

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Light and heat mat gets too hot - are they both on thermostats? If not, they ought to be. Get a digital thermometer to measure the temps, don't rely on the dials on your stats.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Can you post up some pics of the viv showing everything in there? Also like others have said what are your temps (measured using a digital or infra red thermometer on the substrate). If the husbandry isn't spot on then this can stop them from eating :devil:. Once we know how the Royal is being kept we can then start offering advice on what to do :2thumb:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he's eattennnn!!!!! :) :) :) :)

hey, thanks for all your replies, i'm pleased to say alfie struck last tuesday and gobbled that down, was only a tiny fluffy mouse, but has had 2 slightly bigger mice since, so i think he's back on track!! :) i'm sooooo happy!! :) :)
been reading through the replies, the heat mat is on thermastat, but light isnt, so im gonna get one for the light! i moved his house to the other side of the room, as thought maybe he doesnt like the corner he was in! so maybe that was it or not i dunno, but he's eatten 3 times, so if he keeps on the same tracks, he should be back upto his normal weight in no time! thanks guys
xx xx

·
Registered
890 Posts
ello

surprise surprise!

Royals are notorious for being problematic feeders! you should have got a boa lol

Anyway there are plenty of people on here that will point you in the right direction! you could always try Stu G on here he is amazing at getting non feeders back on track! :2thumb:

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey, glad he's finally eating! mine has just broken her 4 month fast, i don't know if it's been suggested before, but i played the sound of a new born baby bird begging for food and it seemed to really get her going, i'm assuming thats because she would eat baby birds in the wild?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hey, glad he's finally eating! mine has just broken her 4 month fast, i don't know if it's been suggested before, but i played the sound of a new born baby bird begging for food and it seemed to really get her going, i'm assuming thats because she would eat baby birds in the wild?
never heard this before! .. quite romantic...
I thought they can't hear though!

my spider female is a witch ... eats like a pig for 6 months .. then not interested at all for the next 6 ... nothing surprises me anymore with royals

1 - 16 of 16 Posts