Votes: 15 40.5%
  • viv

Votes: 22 59.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think is better for royals rubs or vivs. also what size for adults.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Depends on the size of the royal. RUBs are great for babies and you can progress with them as they get larger... but who wouldn't prefer, if money and space are no object, a viv for their snake?

I voted RUB because they are more economic and useful. They are easy to work with and can house most Royals as they grow (I would give an adult something larger though). They also provide security because of their opacity.

But I would take a nice Herptek or wooden viv any day if I had the space and money. So it's a win for what is "realistic" over what is "preferable".

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The only one remotely plausible would be the 145L but a Royal that big might be capable of pushing its way out... even with the clip-on handles.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a 2 year old royal approx 2.5 foot in a 4 foot viv. heated by a 150 watt ceramic with pulse thermostat. He seems quite happy :2thumb:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Saying that he is probably closer to the 3 foot mark.

Recent pic

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Nicer to see a snake in that kind of enclosure...

There's something very utilitarian and regimented about row after row of RUBs (I should know, three of my walls are covered with them from floor to ceiling).

They are dead useful though. And you can spruce them up.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was thinking of puting my royal in a rub(so i can use his 3ft viv for a boa) but only for 1.5 month max till i get a 4ft viv

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Definitely do-able with the 145L. I wouldn't downgrade that to an 85L even for a 3 ft royal because IMO they are more active than they look and need the extra floor space. In the 145L size there's room for a nice big log/branch for them to climb if they so desire (doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen).

Just be careful about escapes, I've recently had a Carpet python force its way out of an 84L and a Malagasy Hog-Nose push its way out of a 50L...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers, its only going to be for just over a month then they will go back in there viv. think it would be easyer to put the royals in rubs than the boa.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Most Royal keepers recommend 50L RUB's for adult Royals, and 9L RUB's for snakes up to 600 grams.

I have followed these guidelines, and my guys seem happy.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Most Royal keepers recommend 50L RUB's for adult Royals, and 9L RUB's for snakes up to 600 grams.

I have followed these guidelines, and my guys seem happy.

I really wanted to say that but didnt wanna get shot down, i have seen very happy royals in 50l Rubs.Apparently the thrive.

Also big breeders must keep their Royals in even smaller.

I dont think Royals move around to much and the confined space makes them feel a bit more secure. Altho my knowledge of Royals is not very much.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, cheers. whare do you get the 145L rubs as i cant find them anywhare. the rubs i was looking at only go to 84L.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i keep all my royals in rubs. last week, every one of them ate. first time ever. also i wouldnt use anything my boa had been in or used, on another snake. i keep boas stuff, corn stuff and royal stuff separate.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I think with this it all boils down to what you keep the snake for, availability, how much cash you have and what is available.

I voted viv as i keep all of my snakes in vivs. If you are lacking space, cash or need a quick fix RUB's are a great idea though.:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Viv guy.........i appricate them more when i can see them,nothing against RUB'S thou used them for hatchlings myself.........

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
really useful box do not make 145L rubs as far as I know.
They can be bought from the Really Useful Box website on the internet. I've not yet seen them in shops as they have only been out for a few months.

The dimensions are 810 x 610 x 430mm. Longer and taller than an 84L but "square".

Also, there are little tabs on the sides that go into the lid to help keep rigidity up.

As for keeping large adult (4ft+) Royals in 50L RUBs... I'm sure it is possible and I know many people do it but personally I wouldn't. These snakes do spend most of their time stationary (depending on the individual) but several of mine often get the urge to "go exploring" and like to climb around or just trundle along for a bit. So for me it's just a personal preference to give my animals some more room if they want it.

(Must be because I tend to favour more active colubrids and I just can't bring myself to give some of my animals less room).:Na_Na_Na_Na:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts