Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My friend should be getting a royal on tuesday its over 1 foot atleast and quite chunky, ( I know this isn't very precise or helpful) but what size mice or rats should it be on ?

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
depends on the girth of the snake, wot ever that is, thats how big u want ur mice or rats. hope that helps ya:2thumb:

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
That mouse/rat's diameter should be about 1-1.5 times the width of the middle of the snakes body, thats the general rule.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if we are judging by the widest part of a snake its easy as big as a 3 week old rat, so wen he gets it should it be on rats?
it has a scar on its belly but it was saw to by a vet and was stitched up completely healed just a mark, this wont cause any problems will it?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
the scar should be fine and not cause a problem... as for the food if you can find "3weeks old rats" or probally fuzzie rats? (do they do them like mice) then should be ok....

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Well if we are judging by the widest part of a snake its easy as big as a 3 week old rat, so wen he gets it should it be on rats?
it has a scar on its belly but it was saw to by a vet and was stitched up completely healed just a mark, this wont cause any problems will it?
Yeh, I would just go into the reptile shop, and have a look at the size of adult mice and younger rats, and choose one that looks about right. If its too small, just get a bigger one next time, but try not to get one thats too big.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that's great, will let my friend know.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
All good advice...but advice to your friend is that he/she should really read up on how to keep a particular species before he buys it - much better for the snake and for the confidence of the keeper...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts