Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought my boyfriend a hog isle boa for his birthday, and i need to house it for about a week i would say after i pick it up before i take it to his. So i figured i am going to need some kind of a rub, I have never seen a rub used before, so any advice on how to set one up?

I thought i will need a 20l plastic box, as he is a wee baby :)
and some kind of heating. I thought about buying a heat mat but i was told i would need to put it under the box instead of in it?
Then i though i would need newspaper, two hides and a water dish?
so basically like a plastic small viv. A heat mat would require some kind of a thermostat wouldn't it??

Sorry if it all seems basic and obvious, but i have never kept snakes, and he only has a few :)

Cheers

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
yep, all heating will require a thermostat.

you'd be best going for an 18ltr RUB (secure lids compared to other plastic tubs) with an 11x11 heatmat on a mat stat.. the 11x11 will be a bit bigger than needed for an 18ltr RUB but the thermostat will keep the heat under control and the heat mat can then be used for the next sized RUB as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so do i put the heat mat just under the newspaper in the RUB or actually under the RUB?

Cheers for your advice :)

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
so do i put the heat mat just under the newspaper in the RUB or actually under the RUB?

Cheers for your advice :)

When using a RUB always sit it on top of the heat mat :2thumb:. Stick the stats probe to the heat mat outside the RUB, put your thermometer probe inside the RUB (i put it under the hide where the snake is laying). This way you get the actual temp where the snake actually is :2thumb:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts