Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, so im switching my royal from a 50l RUB to a vivarium in a couple of weeks.. I'd just like to know what size viv you guys would recommend, and whether i should switch to ceramics from a heat mat? I've heard heat mats can cause respiritory problems in royals and all sorts of other problems, and that ceramics heat the air etc. SO, how would I go about applying a ceramic to the viv? and could anyone show me the ceramic stuff that would be ideal? (i.e protector, fitting and the bulb?) sorry if i sound clueless this is the first time i've had to deal with bulbs and stuff as my corn snake has a heat mat :bash:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Others will tell you otherwise (and they're not wrong, it just proves there's several different approaches to reptile keeping) but if it was mine and adult or nearly so I'd be keeping it in a four foot viv although arguably, three foot is fine for most royals.
Have the ceramic bulb screwed into a sturdy ceramic fitting (a plastic one will melt!) and situate this down one end of an enclosure as you would any other heating. Screw a decent bulb guard around the whole thing so that your snake cannot get to the bulb and touch it.

I prefer to use pulse stats with ceramics as they keep the temperature very stable.

Hope this is of some use :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts