Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my new rat snake keeps rubing his nose on the vents in the viv will this cas him any harm or will he be ok.

cheers, gibby

·
Registered
573 Posts
He may be looking for an escape route, if this it the case he will stop when he learns its a no go.

Are they plastic vents? just keep an eye on him if he continues, it may lead to a sore nose or head, if so try to cover up the vents and apply some antiseptic cream that's safe for snakes

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hes defiantly trying to escape :lol2: what should i cover them with, o they are plastic

·
Registered
573 Posts
At the moment I would not cover them up, as they are plastic and not metal, I cant see them causing any harm in the short term.

My corn used to rub against the glass and the the lip in-between the two doors for a bit, he soon stopped after he realised it was not getting him anywhere. He did no damage to himself.

just keep an eye on him for a bit, you could cover the vents with a sheet of cardboard with some small holes in it, stuck up with a small amount of blu-tac, making sure he cant get stuck behind it of course

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
He's curious as there are so many new smells and the vent is where the smells are strongest. If you cover the vent (and decrease the ventilation so not a good idea) he'll just rub somewhere else such as the gap between the glass doors.
Graham.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts