Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is Vista, I have to admit that when i bought her i was pretty dumb when it came to knowing anything much about them except they werent vicious and they were plant eaters, i was so eager to buy her i didnt really notice the shell either until i got her home.

From what i can gather, it seems very likely she was wild caught. I wouldnt say that she seems particularly ill in her behavior because shes always eaten well and loves to explore as well as burrow as much as she can.

It seems that the white patch on her shell must be from rot???

there is also clearly some slight deformity in its formation.

After reading the dangers of picking wild weeds im feeding her a tort food that contains plenty of calcium and when i get her in a proper tub I will be growing weeds from seed and finding the best method for supplement that way(any suggestions?).

My main question is this, Will her shell ever regain its true form again because she is very young, i imagine around 2 years old, and im very keen to ensure i can get her looking her beautiful self.

Also, it seems to me that around the outside of the bad patches there is healthy growth which must mean that she was at least being taken care of in the pet shop, so am i right assuming that in time she can see herself on cam and smile an even bigger grin on her curious little face, because im sure she loves posing for her pics.

So im just looking for some reassurance really that her shellz recovery is underway and time is the great healer they say it can be.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also just to add, i have a uv a&b / heat emitting bulb that i believe also helps her shells formation and growth too

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
in all honesty her shell does not look that bad to me,
i have seen far worse, i wouldnt say she has shell rot nor could i say she has had it,what is it makes you think she was WC ?
would this have changed your mind about geting her?
if she was the damage had already been done she will have already beeen taken from the wild although i dont agree with this i wouldnt not house a tor because of this if you get were im going with this,
i am 100% that my youngest was WC and he is fab!
as i said i dont think there is much to wory about with her shell have her see a vet and get a check over and if the vet things there is concerne she will treat,im sure some one with more of a clue will be along soon,

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
It looks like he/she has been dropped or fallen from a height and over turned. To damage the top of the shell. Anyway if its clean and dry I wouldnt worry too much. But bathing it in diluted viodene now and then will help stop any bacteria setting in.
It does look nice and clean. If there are any loose scute pieces around the area, they need to be removed as well, again to stop bacteria building up under them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i get the feeling she was wild caught from the great mass of threads i read on this site, and the advice that ive read here previously. I can also say it seems cruel to snatch them from the wild but i love her to death regardless and she does appear content and happy enough, i could never regret having her though she brightened up my day every day for a couple of weeks now.

It just really concerned me on close inspection of her shell and i wanted to see what you guys here thought because i wasnt sure at all.

It could well be that the damage has been something other than the shell rot as you suggest and ive taken both you're advice, i planned to anyway, and ive got her an appointment @ the vets tomorrow morning just to get her checked over and make sure theres no problems looming in the distance.

Theres no loose material on her shell and of course i give her soaks in shallow luke warm water, every other day, to make sure she isnt dehydrated and give her a natural clean.

I'll wait for the vets advice on using anything to thoroughly clean & destroy any bacteria that may have built up anywhere and bring this to the vets attention so thx for that suggestion.

Other than that, im relieved you dont recognise any form of severe shell rot, so thank you both for that suggestion.

I look forward to ensuring her safe & happy enviroment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i just got back from the vet and he says vista is fine, but that she may be a little underweight after living in the pet shop. so ive managed to get hold of some good dandelion leaves and im going to fatten her up on fruit. Shes a little too small to properly weigh compared on the jacksons ratio but he thought her legs were too skinny so a good feast while she grows another few cm shouldnt make her complain too much.

He said he wouldnt worry about her shell at all and that her calcium levels seemed to have been sufficiently balanced. He had a good fiddle with her shell and loosened the white material that had concerned me and told me to remove it as best i could when i got home and she looks a little better now =].

Im just pleased she is more or less okay and @ £11.13 for her check up it was worth every penny for the peace of mind shes okay and will continue to be.

Im still awaiting results on a worm analysis but im fairly confident that shes clear there anyway.

·
Registered
43,138 Posts
Vista looks like a Horsfield to me, so would always appear overweight using the Jackson ratio as Horsfields are shorter and wider than other torts, more square looking if that make sense. There is the McIntyre graph which was created using measurements and weights taken from Horsfields but it was only created using a small number of torts. However it is still a good guideline.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vista looks like a Horsfield to me, so would always appear overweight using the Jackson ratio as Horsfields are shorter and wider than other torts, more square looking if that make sense. There is the McIntyre graph which was created using measurements and weights taken from Horsfields but it was only created using a small number of torts. However it is still a good guideline.
i know wat you mean, using the edge to edge measurement rather than corner to corner does pose a slight miscalulation in the wider spectrum...... i will take both charts into account when im re-weighing personally and try to keep it at a norm visually, as well as by length weight ratio. Im guessing much like humans they all have their own metabolism.

i think my best bet, is to make she gets plenty of weight on in the next few weeks and plenty of exercise to burn the sugary fats and keep her occupied while i re evaluate a correct length/weight/diet/exercise ratio for her personally to my liking.

a very good point though incrisis =] thx.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
in all honesty her shell does not look that bad to me,
i have seen far worse, i wouldnt say she has shell rot nor could i say she has had it,what is it makes you think she was WC ?
would this have changed your mind about geting her?
if she was the damage had already been done she will have already beeen taken from the wild although i dont agree with this i wouldnt not house a tor because of this if you get were im going with this,
i am 100% that my youngest was WC and he is fab!
as i said i dont think there is much to wory about with her shell have her see a vet and get a check over and if the vet things there is concerne she will treat,im sure some one with more of a clue will be along soon,

The centres of the scutes are typical of a young W/C russian. C/B are much clearer ;)
Yes, W/C torts are 'fab' but it would be far better and 'fabber' for them if they were still in the wild. Not saying that there is anything you can do when they are in but I do feel very very strongly that they would be easier to look after in situations that typically mimic W/C conditions as near as possible.
Betadine scrubs and a gentle lifting of the resultant dead shell would help here.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The centres of the scutes are typical of a young W/C russian. C/B are much clearer ;)
Yes, W/C torts are 'fab' but it would be far better and 'fabber' for them if they were still in the wild. Not saying that there is anything you can do when they are in but I do feel very very strongly that they would be easier to look after in situations that typically mimic W/C conditions as near as possible.
Betadine scrubs and a gentle lifting of the resultant dead shell would help here.

yes they shouldnt be taken from the wild but the damage has already been done,
i wouldnt not buy a tort because of this i would feel i was providing a loding caring home for it?

would you not?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
man... i put her in some soil and i swear she gave me this look... turned back to it and rubbed her face in it like greeting an old friend. i think she also knew that id seeded the soil and also because theres already root content in the soil also, i think she didnt want to go digging in it and messing it up lol she went to the corner and scraped round the soil lightly then left it alone.

I'll soon have her in a little indoor garden im building anywayz because i dont have a suitable outdoor one at all =[, and its shared with the nxt door neighbours, but thanks for explaining the shell to me, i was still wondering. One day tho im sure she'll think shes back in the wild when i get a better property with her in mind =] :bash::whip::no1:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wouldnt not buy a tort because of this i would feel i was providing a loding caring home for it?

would you not?
well i didnt know this, but apparently the argument is, that if you buy a wild caught tort, another will b taken again and apparently the conditions they are transported/imported in are inhumane to say the least. i dont doubt that many become ill and die because of it as well. coupled with the fact many people buy them and never know how to care for them is another factor.

So want i would like to see done..... is captive bred torts sold with all the neccecities, etc. i think that would also reduce unwanted animals greatly increasing the price to wat u really have to pay for a tortoise. And to have imports banned altogether. (the lack of availability would turn torts into gold lolz)

i love torts now, like i loved elephants as a kid... i used to have an obsession lol but now its my tort.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
well i didnt know this, but apparently the argument is, that if you buy a wild caught tort, another will b taken again and apparently the conditions they are transported/imported in are inhumane to say the least. i dont doubt that many become ill and die because of it as well. coupled with the fact many people buy them and never know how to care for them is another factor.

So want i would like to see done..... is captive bred torts sold with all the neccecities, etc. i think that would also reduce unwanted animals greatly increasing the price to wat u really have to pay for a tortoise. And to have imports banned altogether. (the lack of availability would turn torts into gold lolz)

i love torts now, like i loved elephants as a kid... i used to have an obsession lol but now its my tort.
well im glad you chose to home a tort and not a elephant as you would have ad problems lol

all i was trying to make out was that a wc tort's are slated like mad i have a wc i didnt know and i couldnt care less he is in good health and is thriving,yes the transportation and care is neglected,but the damage had already been done,weh we got him baught for us we didnt have a clue ,we were on here asking alsorts,but now its like riding a bike its such a pice of cake common general knowlege,it is mind jerking when you first get one i think you are more scared than ne thing else trying to learne the difrent weeds,lighting temps ect, when we got our wc he was in such bad condition ,it looked like he had been tied to a tow bar of a car and draged along the road his shell was that bed,we have treated him and thats the only thing that i could pick at we love him to bits and i cant reli say thre is ne thing i could pick at about him now other than he is a greedy little sod!

im just trying to say just because its WC they shouldnt get pushed out.
the damage is already done b4 they come to us who provide homes for them and love n care for them

i have ranted loads havent i and i have probas talked rubish aswell never mind it passed a few minutes !:lol2:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah theres no reason you cant get yaself a tortoise, the world is just still emerging from the stone age lol and things get out of control.... like animals stolen from the only homes they ever knew for cheap money when they're worth so much more than that. its really a big scandal the government gets rich off in tax and brushes aside.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah theres no reason you cant get yaself a tortoise, the world is just still emerging from the stone age lol and things get out of control.... like animals stolen from the only homes they ever knew for cheap money when they're worth so much more than that. its really a big scandal the government gets rich off in tax and brushes aside.
i have never heard ne thing more true,
you totaly got that in 1 !

we could start a thread on what they do that causes us problems and that alone would be pages long lol

·
Banned
3,993 Posts

would you not?

No I would not - every one sold to a loving home creates more room for one that may not be.
Just my opinion but there are rarely good arguments for deliberately buying a WC tort in my book.
You may be able to provide a loving home for a WC hedgehog or sparrow but if it was legal would you do it ;) Just an analogy ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
[

I agree Wizza!
quote=wizzasmum;2804687]No I would not - every one sold to a loving home creates more room for one that may not be.
Just my opinion but there are rarely good arguments for deliberately buying a WC tort in my book.
You may be able to provide a loving home for a WC hedgehog or sparrow but if it was legal would you do it ;) Just an analogy ;)[/quote]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts