Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who remember big betty my boa I have just had the worst news. She developed an abcess on her lower jaw, which on intial vet advice an operation was required to remove. So I went to vets to pick her up today and was told she has tumours in her mouth which are uncureable. She's not in pain but will in time, need to be p.t.s. I'm in a catch 22 now as she has no way of showing me when she is in pain and is it cruel to pts now? She's such a stunner its heartbreaking :(

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
For those who remember big betty my boa I have just had the worst news. She developed an abcess on her lower jaw, which on intial vet advice an operation was required to remove. So I went to vets to pick her up today and was told she has tumours in her mouth which are uncureable. She's not in pain but will in time, need to be p.t.s. I'm in a catch 22 now as she has no way of showing me when she is in pain and is it cruel to pts now? She's such a stunner its heartbreaking :(
so sorry to hear this, i'm going through something similar with my dog, found out last tuesday that he may have cancer around his chest/lungs. So i now have to make the decision and it's completely crippled me inside.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
so sorry to hear this, i'm going through something similar with my dog, found out last tuesday that he may have cancer around his chest/lungs. So i now have to make the decision and it's completely crippled me inside.
It's gutting news weather it's a dog or a snake. I would have her euthanised prior to her developing pain as it's the most humane thing to do. Regarding ones dog you'll know when it's time as he will suddenly nit be himself, that's the time to let him go. We went through the same thing last December and it crippled me for several weeks (and I still cry now and again still).

Tara had an inoperable tumor on her cheek bone which was really big in the end. We took her for one last walk and fed her sausages in the car before having her put down. In the vets she even raised her paw as we had trained her to do on vets visits, which destroyed me as I couldn't bear to think she was still trusting me so much, but we knew it was the best thing to do.

There is a book called "Absent Friend: Coping with the Loss of a Treasured Pet" it's really good to read and helps ever so much. Can't re comend reading this BEFORE having a pet chum put down as it really guides you through the process and helps you cope.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
It's gutting news weather it's a dog or a snake. I would have her euthanised prior to her developing pain as it's the most humane thing to do. Regarding ones dog you'll know when it's time as he will suddenly nit be himself, that's the time to let him go. We went through the same thing last December and it crippled me for several weeks (and I still cry now and again still).

Tara had an inoperable tumor on her cheek bone which was really big in the end. We took her for one last walk and fed her sausages in the car before having her put down. In the vets she even raised her paw as we had trained her to do on vets visits, which destroyed me as I couldn't bear to think she was still trusting me so much, but we knew it was the best thing to do.

There is a book called "Absent Friend: Coping with the Loss of a Treasured Pet" it's really good to read and helps ever so much. Can't re comend reading this BEFORE having a pet chum put down as it really guides you through the process and helps you cope.
it's so difficult in chosing the right time

·
Registered
7,471 Posts

That made me cry, at least you know you did what was best for her, leaving it until they're in pain is crueller

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
it's so difficult in chosing the right time
That's the hardest part. Sounds like it's not confirmed in you're dogs case but if it is a terminal illness then please do yourself a favour and read this book ASAP I read it after (it still helped but it would have been so much easier before hand) and also the most important bit, enjoy your ramaining time together

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
That's the hardest part. Sounds like it's not confirmed in you're dogs case but if it is a terminal illness then please do yourself a favour and read this book ASAP I read it after (it still helped but it would have been so much easier before hand) and also the most important bit, enjoy your ramaining time together
well i wont have time to read it before because i feel it'll be kinder to do the deed in the next couple days, he's started to deteriorate and i wont have him suffering.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It sucks but it is I think I'm gonna euthanise her. Cheers for comments guys. Just gutted
I'm so sorry to hear about poor betty, and I think you're making the right decision (and I know how hard that decision is) as however hard it is to lose a loved pet, ensuring they have the minimum amount of suffering possible is the important thing imo.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I lost a dog to cancer and it became evident when he started to suffer so altho still a hard decision was still made easier as we didn't want him to suffer, as u say u can't know if the snake is in pain, I'm sorry u r suffering with ur choice I'd hate to be there but, if I was I'd probably take a day or two to get my head round it and then euthanise.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
This isn't quite the same as a dog though, the snake could suddenly be in ridiculous amounts of pain and not be able to express it so easily.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'd have it done now myself.
But if you don't get regular vet checks, and I wish you all the best! gutted mate.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
This isn't quite the same as a dog though, the snake could suddenly be in ridiculous amounts of pain and not be able to express it so easily.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'd have it done now myself.
But if you don't get regular vet checks, and I wish you all the best! gutted mate.

I do agree, but also get what the dog people have been saying. Whatever the situation, i know Chris will do the right thing, & i`m really gutted for ya too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do keep close eye on all my reptiles. I only picked her up lst Night and vet said without the op it wouldn of been discovered. It was only because an abcess formed that it came to light. and she was eating Shedding etc fine. I'm booking her in for weekend. :(
:welcome:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also the vet said at this time she is not in pain as he has treated nerves as well. But as with tumours, it will spread then she would be in great pain. She could have anywhere between 3 months to 3 years before this happens.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Making that decision is one of the hardest things a person ever has to do, and it's awful, but as humans we place too much importance on life, and like to cling onto it until the bitter end. It's just lucky that we do condone euthanasia for animals because at least they don't have to endure the pain as their caring owner has the power to make that decision for them.
With having a pet put to sleep, as hard as it is to deal with, I always think, better a week too early than a day too late. Let them go with some dignity and before the pain starts. It will be heartbreaking for you, but the animal won't know any better, they don't feel the same sadness at losing their life, and time's a healer for the bereaved owner. It's a massive act of kindness, your last duty towards your pet, and you'll know in your gut what is the right thing to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.