Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I would be gratefull to anybody for their tips on sliding glass door for large snakes cages. Particularly I would like to find out whether a safety (toughened) glass is the best option or even a necessity.
Toughened glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the sliding doors fitted into the plastic runners, I am also worried about the possibility of a large snake body (such as a yellow anaconda) pressing against the glass and pushing it out. The upper channel of the runner, which I bought from Ebay from a seller specifically supplying for viv building, seems rather shallow to hold the weight of the snake against the glass...

Has anybody had any experience with this problem, any tips on remedying this?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
when i build my viv's for people with large snakes or lizards i put the runners in then i glue and nail wood so it overlaps the runners so they cant be pushed out and i use 6mm toughened glass on all the vivs check out my website you should be able to see what i mean.

·
Registered
645 Posts
just a note the shallower channel is the bottom runner, the deeper one is the top, it wont work the other way around.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
stick 'em in, nail 'em in and screw 'em in.
I ended up beardieless as one of my dogs managed to knock the glass that much the silicone sealant came unstuck and the glass fell into the viv.
It might be strong enough to take a bang but overtime it can work loose.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i build my viv's for people with large snakes or lizards i put the runners in then i glue and nail wood so it overlaps the runners so they cant be pushed out and i use 6mm toughened glass on all the vivs check out my website you should be able to see what i mean.
Thanks Ralph! Thats just what I thought of doing, to overlap it with wood for strength. Great vivs, I have seen your website before when I was looking for inspiration, great job you are doing!

Do you tend to make more vivs with hinged doors or are sliding doors more popular?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Wow, I really thought the deeper channel was the bottom one. Glad I found out - thanks again!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
when i first started building them people were going for hinged doors but this week i have had 3 orders for sliding glass doors which makes my job alot easier and quicker.

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
I used 6mm safety glass for my large pair bci's.
I stuck the runners down with silicon and it is fine.....still there years later :2thumb:
The viv is 6' long.
I would stick with plastic for the runners......I had a huge viv once with ally runners and it splintered the glass.I changed that over to plastic and used perspex instead of glass before I sold that one (6Lx4Hx3W)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts