Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sage the Sorong Chondro, aged 8 months
Am doing a picture thread of him, as he grows and changes colour will keep adding updated pics :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

:-D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Absolutely breathtaking GTP!! I hope you don't mind me saying though, I would really, REALLY strongly suggest you don't handle it yet.

Until they're over a year old, handling can cause pretty severe spinal damage to a neonate GTP. If you read Greg Maxwell's "The more complete chondro" which is essentially the bible to owning these snakes he makes it very clear that they're display snakes above handling snakes, especially at such a young age!!

It may be a myth and you may get lucky with it, but I know for certain I wouldn't want to risk it with such a stunning, expensive animal!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely breathtaking GTP!! I hope you don't mind me saying though, I would really, REALLY strongly suggest you don't handle it yet.

Until they're over a year old, handling can cause pretty severe spinal damage to a neonate GTP. If you read Greg Maxwell's "The more complete chondro" which is essentially the bible to owning these snakes he makes it very clear that they're display snakes above handling snakes, especially at such a young age!!

It may be a myth and you may get lucky with it, but I know for certain I wouldn't want to risk it with such a stunning, expensive animal!
Hi there, thanks for the advice :) ive done as much research as possible on them, some suggest not handling at all and others suggest very very careful handling because of the tail and spine, i dont pull at him, i just guide him gently with my hands. Ive spoken to a couple of owners and get different answers from each one :) its hard to know the right thing to do.
I am ordering a copy of the more complete chondro when i get paid next week :)
Dont want you to think im not taking advice, its hard to know whos advice to listen to lol! So many mixed opinions :)

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the advice :) ive done as much research as possible on them, some suggest not handling at all and others suggest very very careful handling because of the tail and spine, i dont pull at him, i just guide him gently with my hands. Ive spoken to a couple of owners and get different answers from each one :) its hard to know the right thing to do.
I am ordering a copy of the more complete chondro when i get paid next week :)
Dont want you to think im not taking advice, its hard to know whos advice to listen to lol! So many mixed opinions :)

I agree about the mixed opinions - I just wouldn't take the risk if even one person has reported a spinal kink or damage from handling! There are loads of accounts online about GTPs who have been handled as a neonate and developed all sorts of really unpleasant things as a result!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree about the mixed opinions - I just wouldn't take the risk if even one person has reported a spinal kink or damage from handling! There are loads of accounts online about GTPs who have been handled as a neonate and developed all sorts of really unpleasant things as a result!
He won't be handled really now until he is over a year old, which is only in 3 months time anyway :)
Before I got him I discussed this with the shop I bought him from, I trust their opinions as they know their stuff and look after their animals well. They explained that the tails and spine are delicate, and that any handling needs to be extremely careful, and not often and that we cannot have him/her sexed until he/she is much bigger for the same reason.
But I'm taking everyones opinions into consideration :) including the opinions of people on here, in the end I want to do whats is best for my pets :2thumb:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
He won't be handled really now until he is over a year old, which is only in 3 months time anyway :)
Before I got him I discussed this with the shop I bought him from, I trust their opinions as they know their stuff and look after their animals well. They explained that the tails and spine are delicate, and that any handling needs to be extremely careful, and not often and that we cannot have him/her sexed until he/she is much bigger for the same reason.
But I'm taking everyones opinions into consideration :) including the opinions of people on here, in the end I want to do whats is best for my pets :2thumb:
Ace :) hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all - wasn't my intention at all! He is stunning, and I'm massively jealous haha!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ace :) hope I didn't come across as a know-it-all - wasn't my intention at all! He is stunning, and I'm massively jealous haha!!
No not at all, I was hoping I didnt come accross that Im not caring for my pets properly lol.

I would definately reccomend getting one if you get the chance :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I want a compare the meerkat :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just before I put him in a tub with damp tissue to try and help him shed. You cant really see in the pics the bits of stuck skin

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Aw he's lovely and dinky, what a nice bright colour he is bless :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aw he's lovely and dinky, what a nice bright colour he is bless :)
Yeah he does look small! He is about 8 months old (so ive been told)
I love the yellow, but looking forward to seeing his colour change :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts