Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a baby boa constrictor, its 11 Month old and around 3ft in lenth.. The snake is very tame and chilled lol i was told she is a salmon boa was wondering if anyone as any pictures of a fully grown one and a few pictures of small ones too compare lol.. what is best substrate too use?? As at minute im using orchid bark but she seems fine on it and what else should i put in her viv at minute ive got orchid bark substrate, few fake plants on wall, a cave, desent size water bowl and a log lenth of viv she is always climbing lol.. is there anythng else i should include in her viv ? the viv is 3x1.5x1.5ft but in a few week shes going in a 4x2x2ft viv any help and tips would be great as this is first time owning a boa and i dont always believe what the internet says lol thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Salmon is the official name of the mutant gene, but most people use "hypo". There are tons of pictures on the web. Do a search with the keywords boa constrictor, hypo and picture.
Ive looked on google but it brings that many different colours up lol

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Here's my 2010 salmon boy Casper

Reactions: Hypermonkey

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my 2010 salmon boy Casper

thankyou for the images very nice boa :) mine is darker on top and pinkish underneath i was reading more they grow and shed the more pinker they get, is this true ?? How big do the salmon pink boas grow are they the same as a normal boa or are they slightly smaller ? thanks

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
salmon is a term commonly added to hypo boas, most of the time with little to support its heritage (salmonboa). I would expect paperwork from the breeder to support the claim that it is in fact a hypo boa bred from the salmon line hypos.

I have also seen plenty of common/normal boas sold as salmons due to levels of salmon/pinking in the snake.

Hypo/hypomelanistic essentially means reduced levels of black pigmentation, whist retaining other colours. results in a snake that has fawn/orange/brown overtones.

Rach's boa is a really nice example of a hypo.

orchard bark is fine, the only issue I have is that it is more difficult to spot waste and therefore spot clean, I personally use beech chipping.

grab a copy of vincent russo's - the complete boa constrictor, fantastic reference book for boa keepers, often referred to as the boa bible, it aint the cheapest book but you wont be disappointed

hope this helps
: victory:

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
As Charlie says you often see normal common boas sold in shops as 'salmon boas' just because they have a bit of pink on them. This is a ploy just to get more money for them.

However, shops do also sell hypos as salmon boas to.

The best thing you can do is post a pic of your animal on here and we'll be able to tell you exactly what you have!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
salmon is a term commonly added to hypo boas, most of the time with little to support its heritage (salmonboa). I would expect paperwork from the breeder to support the claim that it is in fact a hypo boa bred from the salmon line hypos.

I have also seen plenty of common/normal boas sold as salmons due to levels of salmon/pinking in the snake.

Hypo/hypomelanistic essentially means reduced levels of black pigmentation, whist retaining other colours. results in a snake that has fawn/orange/brown overtones.

Rach's boa is a really nice example of a hypo.

orchard bark is fine, the only issue I have is that it is more difficult to spot waste and therefore spot clean, I personally use beech chipping.

grab a copy of vincent russo's - the complete boa constrictor, fantastic reference book for boa keepers, often referred to as the boa bible, it aint the cheapest book but you wont be disappointed

hope this helps
I bought the snake off a friend they didnt get no paper work with the snake when they first got it.. I dont mind if its not a salmon Boa as i think its still a really really nice snake.. Once its older though ive been thinking about getting a male salmon boa to breed her with as i want to get back into snake breeding again not done it for a few years lol.. But i will definitly get the book you mentioned before i do get a male and start breeding.. the female ive got is very tame ive been handling her everyday 1-3 times a day for around 10-30 min at a time except for when shes been fed or shedding lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Charlie says you often see normal common boas sold in shops as 'salmon boas' just because they have a bit of pink on them. This is a ploy just to get more money for them.

However, shops do also sell hypos as salmon boas to.

The best thing you can do is post a pic of your animal on here and we'll be able to tell you exactly what you have!

ill go look for my camera now i tried to get a picture on my phone but it doesnt do it no justice lol but ill get a picture up soon

Reactions: bothrops

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice boa mick :) my laptop is being fixed at minute so as soon as i get it back ill put some pictures up off her.. She did a full shed today and she looks so nice ive had a good look and her head at top is slightly pinky pale colour and underneath her is the same but rest of her body is a grey colour but ill try get a good picture if i can.. Do all boa's love too climb ? mine doesnt ever go in her cave she rather wrap around the branch's in her viv lol.. Im setting her up a 4x2x2ft vivarium up next week so i want to know what too put into it that the snake will love lol and when she is older im thinking about breeding her any tips on that.. thanks biggie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts