Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just seen a list of CDC recommendations for preventing transmission of salmonella from reptiles to humans (from kingsnake.com).

I particular, the following recommendations:

# Pet reptiles should be kept out of households where children aged less than 5 years or immunocompromised persons live. Families expecting a new child should remove the pet reptile from the home before the infant arrives.

# Pet reptiles should not be kept in child care centers.

# Pet reptiles should not be allowed to roam freely throughout the home or living area.

My wife is a registered childminder looking after kids under 5! Does this mean I'm scuppered from buying a pet snake for my daughter?? :(

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I wouldnt worry Robbo. Aslong as the snakes dont get physical interaction with the children everything should be fine. I frickin kiss my royal... I aint come down with salmonella. Its a very low chance of anything happening. I would put locks on cages if not aready, And i dont no. It shouldnt stop you :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Nah Robbo its not a problem - even if the children did have contact with the reps so long as basic hygiene is adhered to the probability of transfer is very low. Cats and dogs transfer much more salmonella (and countless other zoonoses) than most reps in any case.

For what its worth I dont wash my hands after handling the reps and have never gotten sick. Even if I do get sick one day I probably wont change my ways :roll:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I always wash my hands before and after holding me snakey and get my nephew and niece to do the same.
I wouldn't let it put you off! Like mentioned, there's risks with everything, doesn't always mean it's going to happen.

:)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I cant see a problem, lots of people have reptiles who have children. Just make sure children wash there hands after as you would with most animals

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
PendleHog said:
Nah Robbo its not a problem - even if the children did have contact with the reps so long as basic hygiene is adhered to the probability of transfer is very low. Cats and dogs transfer much more salmonella (and countless other zoonoses) than most reps in any case.

For what its worth I dont wash my hands after handling the reps and have never gotten sick. Even if I do get sick one day I probably wont change my ways :roll:
same

·
Registered
324 Posts
mate, getting salmonella from a snake is quite rare but can happen. you should wash your hands and never put the snake into your mouth... it would be quite difficult to get salmonella from them, so i doubt you need to worry mate. to acctually contract salmonella from a snake you would have a fornicate with it, mate, and unless you have a very intimate relationship with your pets, you and the children'll be fine...

i think they said keep snakes away from child centres and stuff because young children tend to pick things up and put it in thier mouths, so i wouldn't recomend letting the children into your snake room unless supervised.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i have a two year old and have 14 snakes, 3 dragons, 2 cats, dozens of mice and a rabbit. not had a case of salmonella here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts