Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if you could catch salmonella from a snake if it bit you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
If the snake is kept in healthy, clean conditions and not fed any poultry (chicks, etc), I see no reason why this would happen.

You should clean the wound anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue. but I have never heard of anyone getting problems with this following a bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because on saturday my baby boa bit me for the first time,and ever since monday ive had bad stomach cramps,been feeling a little bit sick although i havent been sick,and i feel all funny like im gonna faint and my joints are acheing.am i bein paranoid thinking ive got it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
Probably a bit of both.

You sound like a bit flu-ish (you can get it without the cold). If it was salmonella, it kicks in a lot faster than this.

You may be over-senstive, so a little bit paranoid and the symptoms may be slightly psychosematic. You should be fine. if you are keeping food down and not bombarding your bathroom every 20 minutes, you're ok from the salmonella. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
No you can not get salmonella from a snake bite.

Salmonella is a "bacteria" wich is in the digestive system of snakes and poultry, you would have to eat some of the bacteria (by maybe handeling your snake and not cleaning your hands, and then some how get it in your mouth, like when eating with your hands, but this would prob only happen if the snake is not kept in clean conditions).

Salmoella is rearly found (if at all) in the mouths of these animals. And the salmonella wich you can catch from snakes, isn't at all that serius. Just be sure to drink a lot of water. More likely you cought a flu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im not being sick or having diaharea,i just feel like im really tired,bad stomack cramps,dizzy and my joints are aching in my shoulders.its just made me a bit para cuz i looked at the symtoms on google and theres this other disease thats linked with salmonella and that says that you can have aching joints but that sets in months after.
my mom always said i was a hypocondriac lol.
do u think its not salmonella then?
thanks for your help simon :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
No sweat...

I know someone that went to the Dr's once because she was a hypochondriac and wanted to be cured.... dozy bitch... you cant make this stuff up!

Hope you feel better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Zedda said:
No you can not get salmonella from a snake bite.

Salmonella is a "bacteria" wich is in the digestive system of snakes and poultry, you would have to eat some of the bacteria (by maybe handeling your snake and not cleaning your hands, and then some how get it in your mouth, like when eating with your hands, but this would prob only happen if the snake is not kept in clean conditions).

Salmoella is rearly found (if at all) in the mouths of these animals. And the salmonella wich you can catch from snakes, isn't at all that serius. Just be sure to drink a lot of water. More likely you cought a flu.

Not that serious???!!!!
Try spending 5 days in hospital and passing out on the loo with cramps and waking up un your uwn s*#t!!!
And i was a healthy 19yr old. What if i was alot older or younger????
ALWAYS practice good hygene with reptiles as the consequences may be severe. :evil:
i found out the hard way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
0bytes said:
Zedda said:
No you can not get salmonella from a snake bite.

Salmonella is a "bacteria" wich is in the digestive system of snakes and poultry, you would have to eat some of the bacteria (by maybe handeling your snake and not cleaning your hands, and then some how get it in your mouth, like when eating with your hands, but this would prob only happen if the snake is not kept in clean conditions).

Salmoella is rearly found (if at all) in the mouths of these animals. And the salmonella wich you can catch from snakes, isn't at all that serius. Just be sure to drink a lot of water. More likely you cought a flu.

Not that serious???!!!!
Try spending 5 days in hospital and passing out on the loo with cramps and waking up un your uwn s*#t!!!
And i was a healthy 19yr old. What if i was alot older or younger????
ALWAYS practice good hygene with reptiles as the consequences may be severe. :evil:
i found out the hard way.
What I ment is that it probably wont kill you (shit doesn't kill, and beeing undernourised doesn't kill you in 5 days. Maybe if you get dehydrated, thus drink alot of water). With the medical knowledge we have today, the odds are at least really slim :? your digestive system takes about 3-5 days to get what you eat out again. Diarrhea is the bodys way of cleaning out the system, and salmonella is something that is very upsetting for our digestive system, we have developed so far from when we carried the bacteria "our selves" that our body has zero tolerance for it.

And hygene is something you should be aware of before you buy a snake.

(sorry about my spelling, I'm not good in english and its been a looooooong day :lol: )
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top