Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - thought it was about time I showed a little glimpse of how the whole `Salsa Stripe Project` is coming along (apologies to all those who`s seen them before on F/B - never my intention to overkill!) Hopefully nice to give a little glimpse of them to those who haven`t seen them before, and also to show the remarkable transformation they go through in a matter of weeks. They`re a very special, and treasured line that continue to exceed my expectations every season - it`s also worth noting too, that the Leos shown here are probably only at about 25 - 40% of their potential as they tend to finally set their adult colours at around 6 months old!!!

I also wanted to say a very big, public `thank you` to Andy Watt of Love Geckos/Reptile Calculator fame, for all his support and help in making them a bonafide line - details about the whole `Salsa Project`, what they are, what they entail etc can be found here: Leopard Gecko Morphs - Salsa Stripe To have them recognised as a line/morph in their own right has meant the world to me, and been a little justification for over 5 years work. Cheers Andy :no1:

Anyroad - he`s one when it hatched, looking pretty nice with a nice deep colour but only a hint of how good it would end up:

After a couple of sheds the same Leo begins to colour up:

And, a more recent pic of how a classic Salsa Stripe (the same one as above!) looks at around 6 weeks old:

The change in this little male has been remarkable - far exceeded my expectation in terms of the amount of lavender, rust and green that`s coming through. A belter.

The is another example of how a Salsa Stripe can progress - tbh, didn`t expect too much of this one when it hatched, labelling it a `Funky Jungle Salsa` but the amount of colour that`s come out in such a short time, and the the striping has blown me away completely:

At hatching:

And again, the same Leo at 6 weeks the transformation has begun!!! Looks like a totally different Leo:

And just as a bit of a bonus - a little glimpse into a sideline that will be pursued over the next few seasons: a gem of a `Lavender Salsa Stripe` - this lovely little girl has an amazing amount of Lavender, which if it isn`t held, will hopefully turn into a lovely shade of Emerine. Exciting times.

Hope you like!!! : victory:

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Very very nice mate - and that's from a lover of paler geckos!

:no1:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
WOW they are stunning :flrt:

·
Registered
604 Posts
All of them are gorgeous, but I love the lavender girl. :flrt:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
As already said they really are great and I love the lavender one very very much! Just a great all round project.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
chuffed for you........

Great stuff Tony, really chuffed for you hun, your passion and love for Leo's is so infectious and your insight and knowledge is an inspiration, you are one of only a handful of amazing keepers on here that I feel really honoured to have become friends with and to whom I most def look up to, couldn't be more impressed with all you have acheived, and couldn't have happened to a nicer chap :2thumb:

ooops got a bit soppy for a while then didn't I sexpert, but I know just how much this project means to you, look forward to getting together later in the year hun and hoepfully seeing some of these beauties in person :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
how could anyone get bored of seeing these, they're all gorgeous! cracking project :) x

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cracking stuff Tony! :no1:
Cheers Sam - as said, your support and eye for a gex gave me a big push to pursue these in their own right: something I haven`t forgotten mate : victory:

Very very nice mate - and that's from a lover of paler geckos!
Ah Mark mate - there have been a couple of very pale oddballs out of this project that, in a couple of seasons perhaps, may just suit your palette - watch this space!!!

Thanks mate - knowing your love of the snows, pales and pures, any positive comment regarding a tang/coloured is taken in the most positive way :2thumb:

WOW they are stunning :flrt:
Nice one Ben, thanks for your lovely comment mate. ;)

All of them are gorgeous, but I love the lavender girl. :flrt:
Cheers Annie - the lovely little Lavender girl is mesmerising in the flesh...such a sweety, and after her shed today, that lavender really is taking on a green hue...I can`t keep up with who`s who!!!

As already said they really are great and I love the lavender one very very much! Just a great all round project.
Thanks Marius - as said on the social networks, it`s positive comments - and general supportiveness - that really help someone in their day to day pursuit of something. It`s a real bonus to have a young hobbyist with such a positive attitude entering the hobby, and saying what they think. Cheers pal.

Great stuff Tony, really chuffed for you hun, your passion and love for Leo's is so infectious and your insight and knowledge is an inspiration, you are one of only a handful of amazing keepers on here that I feel really honoured to have become friends with and to whom I most def look up to, couldn't be more impressed with all you have acheived, and couldn't have happened to a nicer chap :2thumb:

ooops got a bit soppy for a while then didn't I sexpert, but I know just how much this project means to you, look forward to getting together later in the year hun and hoepfully seeing some of these beauties in person :2thumb:
Lunar hun - the pleasure is all mine :2thumb: You`ve added such a `pozzazz` to the forum/hobby over the last 18 months and it`s a real bonus to hear/read your hand on heart comments. Honest, genuine and down to earth keepers/breeders, who say what they think and do what they do for the absolute right reasons (with no hidden agendas), are few and far between - it`s no surprise at all, that every single one of your babies has been snatched up well before time....I think everyone can tell just what a class breeder/keeper/carer you have developed into and it`s also no surprise that a lot of ppl want to be a part of it - they know they`re getting quality, cared for animals. :no1:

Your constant nice words mean a heck of lot - and make even the dreariest days (when you`ve had enough, with a mountain of work to do and hatchling poop under your fingernails) that bit brighter : victory:

how could anyone get bored of seeing these, they're all gorgeous! cracking project :) x
Aw thanks hun - I`ve tried not to push them, or as said `overkill`...but (in my mind anyway!) I`m chuffed to bits with how this season`s gone (bar the exo-terra failure that cost me 40 eggs last month :bash:) and it really has exceeded what I hoped for: just wanted to post a few nice pics for thos who haven`t seen them! When`s the big day btw? Can`t be long now!!!

Cracking leos Love the stripes :2thumb:
Nice one pal - I remebered you were a fan of the stripes and all things colourful! Cheers buddy!

amazing leos!! the colours on them are fantastic:2thumb: you can tell you have put a lot of hard work into these :no1:
Thanks a lot fella - means a lot. Yup, tbh this has been a 5 year project just on this line (prob longer tbh given the previous breeders and picking up on a few `signs` that could be accentuated) - and it`s something that has given me more pleasure than anything else I`ve ever done....to have them get better and better year on year, and to see something `come through` that you`d hoped for, has been far, far more satisfying than trying to make the latest morph/combo.

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stunning leopard geckos, love them :) your clear love and care shows though your geckos
Thanks Amelia - that`s a lovely comment :no1:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Wow Tony they are bloody fantastic looking, definitely Funky leos indeed. Big congratulations. Just proves all the more that love hard work and dedication really do pay off :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Leo's

Absolutely stunning Tony. A lot of time and effort produce a fantastic line of leo's:no1:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I likey alot Tony :)

I know very little about leo morphs but can recognise stunning geckos when I see them and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into producing them :2thumb:

Huge congrats and look forward to seeing more:)

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow Tony they are bloody fantastic looking, definitely Funky leos indeed. Big congratulations. Just proves all the more that love hard work and dedication really do pay off :2thumb:
Cheers Lee (or is it Lisa today?! You 2 need seperate accounts!!! :lol2:)
I`m chuffed that ppl like them, esp` peers who know their reps so thanks - I can`t advocate more how rewarding doing a `private project` is, and would recommend anyone to have a bash at something they`ve got an idea on, that they like personally (whether it be tangs, emerines, stripes, white snows, carrot tails, white heads - anything) and stick at it to see where it takes them. In an ever competitive world, where keeping up with `latest` morphs/genes can be draining, having something ticking away simply because you like them can keep you going in even the hardest of times : victory:

they are fab Tony and as you well know stripes are my all time favourites.I am so pleased to see you are doing so well and bringing exiting new stuff to the table.

Thanks Sue - I was a bit apprehensive to see if you liked them or not - important for me that they passed the `Suez Stripe Test` haha! :2thumb: Some of your stripes over the years have been a big inspiration tbh.

Absolutely stunning Tony. A lot of time and effort produce a fantastic line of leo's:no1:

Nice one Larry - means a lot mate, esp` coming from someone who I know is well up on, and into, their stripes. Really looking forward to seeing what that lovely pool of Striped Bells of yours do this season - good luck with them pal :2thumb:

I likey alot Tony :)

I know very little about leo morphs but can recognise stunning geckos when I see them and appreciate all the hard work that has gone into producing them :2thumb:

Huge congrats and look forward to seeing more:)

Thanks! Knowing how diverse and wide ranging your interest in all manner of reps is, it actually means a heck of a lot for someone, who`s not generally into the Leos, to say that they just appreciate a nice one - cheers :no1:

As for seeing more - I won`t bore everyone with a load more any time soon - but had an extremely nice, absolutely perfect Salsa Stripe pop out unexpectedly yesterday, that already has the colour, and clues, to hopefully suggest it could easily be the best of the lot yet! If it turns out as good as hoped for, I`ll do another `then and now` in about 6 weeks!

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
About flippin time !!!! Ive known Tony as a friend and top class breeder for quite some time. During this time he has ventured into a few different projects. However during the time I have known him, his stripe project has always been at the top of his endeavours. Even when he drastically downsized his collection (albeit only for a short period) he kept hold of his treasured stripes.

Tony, that has to be one of the wisest moves you have made with regards to your leos. The recognition of ' Salsa Stripes ' is fully deserved and will put your name on the Leo map for years to come. The quality of these geckos is absolutely outstanding. It shows that years of careful selective breeding can really pay off. Each gecko is stunning and the lavender stripe is mind blowingly good. They must represent one of the most exciting developments in the UK leopard gecko breeding scene.

Remember, Tony produced these with a very small scale project with very limited resources and little backing. Many of the big name 'mass production' breeders across the water would be thrilled to bits if they produced these and no doubt they would be part of a glossy feature and hefty price tag. One up for the UK breeders but far more importantly well deserved recognition to a guy that represents the best of the leopard gecko breeding hobby in the UK.

Well done Tony, Im thrilled to bits for you and sorry I hadnt seen this thread earlier.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Tony those are some quality little leos .... can't believe I haven't heard or seen your salsa stripe projects before .... I must not be doing enough searching of peoples websites/fb so I'll write "must try harder" on my report to myself lol. Needless to say have to echo all the good comments everyone has already made and although like mark I'm generally a fan of the paler leos I can't help but love the range of colours on these salsa stripes and the tangs are definitely growing on me (especially as I'm soon to pick up a lovely firewater from Phil) but also gives me even more inspiration and incentive going forward for the start of my own long term project ... my creamsicle/snowglows that I'm going to be hopefully starting breeding my first generation of next year after we've got our wedding out of the way later this year ...............

basically mate well done! and if you or any other of the uk leo guys are about at donny next weekend I'll hopefully be able to grab a chat and steal some hint/tips/ideas from all of the massed years of experience that you all have!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts