Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well basically, all my life i have adored spitz type dogs, the samoyed in particular. At the moment, i am not in the best position to purchase a pup (at college, live in an apartment) although in the next few years, i would absolutely love my very own samoyed pup :)
I would love to be a breeder, but i have looked for puppies for sale and most say 'pet homes only' and they come with 'contracts' saying you have to spay your bitch.

I would love a breed mentor, as i dont want to be just another back yard breeder.i would love to get seriously into the breed, and possibly help out with care, pregnancy, labour, rearing pups and even choosing studs. - all this BEFORE i even think about getting a bitch pup of my own.

I have a few questions...

Does anyone on here have a breed mentor?
If so, how did you go about getting one?
What do they involve you in?
Do you get conflicting advice? (ie from one breeder vs your mentor)
How has it helped you?

I would also love to hear from all of you with samoyed's and similar breeds! Share all your stories, opinions and pictures!

Thanks, Elke.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a few questions...

Does anyone on here have a breed mentor?
If so, how did you go about getting one?
What do they involve you in?
Do you get conflicting advice? (ie from one breeder vs your mentor)
How has it helped you?

I would also love to hear from all of you with samoyed's and similar breeds! Share all your stories, opinions and pictures!

Thanks, Elke.
I think the best way to get out and meet breeders is at shows. Find the breed ring that you are interested in and get chatting :2thumb: You will often find that those sitting around that ring are owners/breeders ands its a great place to decide which kennel produces the kind of dog that you would like. When it comes to the showing/breeding world you will always get conflicting advice but that does not necessarily mean any of them are wrong, just very passionate about their breed and tastes will always slightly differ.
If you have decided on the right breeder then their is no reason why they can not then be your mentor. Any reputable breeder would be there to help you throughout the life of one of their babies and would be more then happy to guide you through getting all the relevant health checks done, showing your new edition, finding the right stud and the whelping right to finding suitable homes for your own babies. I think a lot of breeders put on adverts that puppies are only available to pet homes or with breeding restrictions. That doesn't mean that they won't sell for breeding ever or that they won't lift the restrictions if certain criteria are met (which is generally just the health checks for the breed) it just helps to weed out those only looking for a breeding machine. I always put loving pet homes only on my adverts but would happily help anyone wanting to do things the right way.

Good Luck, they are beautiful dogs :flrt:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts