Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm guessing that a few of you will have heard about the several hundred sand lizards (Uk's rarest wild lizard) that were released into the country recently.
Quite a few were released into Dorset (where i live :))
But I was wondering if they are available to buy for captivity? They are a great lizard in my opinion, especially because they are local wildlife :)
I would like to catch a glimpse of one in the wild if they're not available for captivity.
Any help here would be good :)
Thanks!
Ollie

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
they just did a release out here in west wales aswell.. i can see the spot they were released if i stand outside my flat..lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know if you can buy them, but you might manage to get yourself involved in the project as a volunteer if you can find the right person to ask. I'm sure they'll be monitoring the progress of all these little lizards. Maybe your local council would be able to tell you who to contact.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You would need a licence to keep this species, which is unlikely to be issued unless you are involved in a breeding/release programme.

You do see non-native subspecies advertised from time to time though, but I'm not sure what the licensing situation is with these.

·
Registered
785 Posts
IT is perfectly legal to own and sell non native types of Sand lizard, for example Lacerta agilis exigua rather than the native Lacerta agilis agilis. There are a few breeders of them who sell them in the UK

·
Registered
785 Posts
Forgot to say its important to get a letter from the seller stating that either they were acptive bred from captive bred parents or that they were legally imported into the EU giving imformation on that importation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts